We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

PLEASE! I need recommendations for bareboat chartering companies in the BVIs that are more affordable than the nationaly recognized companies. I am trying to put together a trip on a shoe-string budget and it is quite a challenge. Any info on a hotel to stay at for a few nights after the charter would be appreciated as well! THANKS!

Level Contributor
324 posts
1. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

Conch receive good reviews for great prices although their boats may be a little older than other charter companies.

http://www.conchcharters.co.uk/pge/index.php

Small hotels I would recommend are Heritage Inn on Windy Hill (views to die for and excellent customer service) and also The Tamarind Club near Josiah's Bay.

Hope it works out!

trudi@bestofbvi.com

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

We chartered thru Conch Charters once. I think it was the summer of 2003. They are older but well maintained boats. Our boat was just fine...clean and everything worked. Our boat was a 43' Beneteau.

We did have problems with the motor on our dingy. Water kept getting in and the engine kept dying. It was the pits. They did send someone to come and "rebuild" the engine, but it only lasted for 2 days and died again. By then it was the day before we were to go home. We were in Soper's Hole at the West End of Tortola at the time, so we had no problems "hitching" a ride to shore that night for dinner from others in their dinghies and then again back to the boat that evening. We bought them a drink for their trouble.

Lu2
BVI
Level Contributor
148 posts
3. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

also Footloose charters

TMM

-hth

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
513 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

I had looked into charters and footloose is a good alterntive. It is my understanding that their fleet are boats that were origionally in the Moorings fleet that are older. Nothing wrong with a 6 year old boat if it is well maintained.

New Haven, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

For bareboats, I would go through Compass Point Yacht Charters. The owner lived down in the area, and knows every boat, inside & out. She's also very familiar with area hotels. And because she's a smaller company, her prices are a lot more reasonable.

www.compasspointyacht.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: BAREBOAT CHARTERS - Need a less expensive company

Take a look at www.sailonline.com. This is where many boat owners sell their personal time at discounted rates. So you could Moorings or suchlike charter for 70-80% of what Moorings would charge.