We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

NYC
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Hi- my boyfriend and I will be chartering a 43ft Benetau with BVI Yacht Charters in 3 weeks. We are SO excited, and are beginning to think about what we'll need to bring. Overall, we plan to pack very light with casual clothes, bathing suits, and cover ups. Any tips on other things to bring that we might not be thinking of? Also, was wondering if ladies have suggestions for low watt hair dryers? BVI Yacht Charters told me I'd have to rent an inverter through them, and that it can handle 150-400 watts. Let me know!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Skip the hair dryer...the battery banks on the boat will thank you! Pack 1/2 the clothes and twice the money and you'll be fine!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Take less clothes, bring more money!!!!

Seriously, like LoveCGB says, leave the hair dryer at home - you'll be spending most of your time on the boat or at beach bars with other sailors - no one will give a hoot whether or not your hair is dry or looks perfectly styled.

Do only carry-on and pack what little clothes you bring in soft sided duffel bags (preferably that fit the carry-on dimensions) for the airline you are flying. Storage space on a boat is limited so the less space your luggage takes up the better.

Remember you are going for only a week or so - resist the urge to pack the kitchen sink.

Virginia
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Hey - we will be down there at the same time also on a boat. I'm normally a pretty "done up" person, but I am foregoing the dryer and flat iron too for my vacation in order to pack light. We are just doing carry-ons for 10 days! Good thing hubby likes the natural look! One thing you might want to consider bringing is a small container of detergent and some clothespins so you can rinse things out and hang them to dry. That's something that people have def recommended to us and we are going to follow their advice.

Maybe we will see you - we will be on Wild Thing II.

Andrea

NYC
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Thank you all for the tips/suggestions. A hairdryer wasn't so much about "looking good" as it was that I just like to dry my hair after a shower. But I've never been steered wrong with Trip Advisor, so I'm going to take all your advice and leave it at home. Air dry here I come! :). We are only doing carry on for sure- so def packing light with clothes.

What about night time - does it generally stay warm (even on water)? Or do you suggest bringing shawl/cardigan? I've been to many islands and it really varies with temperatures at night.

@traveldukes - We'll be on Syros. Would be fun if we ran into one another!

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
344 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Best to bring a light nylon jacket. Good for the rain showers and warming up if the wind is up.

If you get to Leverick Bay, look on the docks for Reef Song.

Will be at the Leverick Bay Fri night BBQ Dec 10

TpCook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda

Reef Song

Jeanneau 52.2 at Leverick Bay

Edited: 9:00 am, November 12, 2010
Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
6. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

If you are planning to be near Leverick Bay, do yourself a BIG favor. Go to traveltalkonline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and register. Then set up a reservation with Nick at Leverick for a dock slip (easy to do via private message). For $30 you get to stay at the dock, fill your water tank, and get a free bag of ice. Best deal in the BVI. We also rented a car there for the day so we got to really explore Virgin Gorda.

Skip the hairdryer and curling iron. Bring clothes that dry quickly (especially undies.) Bring several bathing suits. Most restaurants are very casual, but some are dressy, so if you plan to go to those then bring a skirt or sundress and a nice shirt and pants for the BF. Don't overpack (I should talk, I always overpack).

Try to bring your own sunscreen and toiletries, since they are very expensive there. Don't forget your meds, sunglasses, a hat, your PASSPORT!! and your credit card. You are good to go. Have a great time! I'm already planning my next BVI sailing trip.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

If you enjoy reading in the cockpit at night bring a small headlamp, they sell them in the sporting goods dept at most stores. It will allow you to read without keeping all the lights on, also nice to use when you are taking the dingy at night.

Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
8. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Speaking of taking the dinghy at night, there are 2 things we did which really helped. We carried a small waterproof flashlight with us so that someone could sit in the front and shine it ahead for me while I was steering (also helped with tying/un-tying lines in the dark). Also, I brought some colored glow-sticks along that I hung on our boat when we left to go ashore. It is very hard to tell your boat apart from others in the dark when you are coming back.

NYC
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Thanks all for the suggestions. The dinghy tips are VERY helpful. We will most definitely be taking your advice on those elements (flashlights, something to mark our dinghy etc). That is exactly the information we're looking for since its our first boat charter and those "little things" are usually something you discover once you're there. Very helpful! Thank you! Feel free to send more if you think of any.

Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
10. Re: Sailing Trip: Packing Questions

Also use the glow sticks to mark your charter boat. When you are coming back in your dinghy in the dark into a crowded field of moored boats, it is VERY hard to find your boat. We also got in the habit of hanging a towel on the lifeline to make it easier to spot.

Oh yes, throw some extra clothes pins in your luggage. Some charter boats have plenty of them on board but not all do. Your towels will never get dry if you leave them below to dry out.

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands