We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

Which Grand Case hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

We have never been to St. Martin before. I chose Grand Case because I read it was close to great restaurants, and the views from the hotel (L'Esplanade) looked amazing. Now fast forward to the last week or two when I started reading about a lot of crime and violence in the area. It looks like there was another attack at a restaurant that looks close to our hotel. At 7 PM.

I emailed the hotel (before reading about this last attack) and they said that they have 2-3 security guards at night. They said the path to where the restaurants is is safe at night (??). Can anyone who has stayed there comment? We will have a car, but it sort of sounds like people with the cars were also attacked so I don't know what to do. Is there a nearby city that is more safe that we should go to for dinners instead?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

I understand - I suggest checking out GC village during the daytime to get a feel for it. There should be security day & night. For the first night, you could drive over to Orient Village, a 10 minute drive, nice restaurants in a more controlled environment. Enter Orient Park and follow the signs.

Edited: 1:42 pm, November 18, 2013
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

Is the crime in Grand Case really that bad? I'll be there soon with my wife & 1 year old daughter. We will have a car with car seat.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

That's a great idea, Bobcat, thank you!

Sam C. I'll post an update when I get back.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

I too will be there soon, with my 1 year old daughter and the thought of not feeling safe in our beach house makes me want to reconsider where we are staying. Should we?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

amschwarz

Only you and your group can decide what your comfort level is. Maybe you would feel more secure staying inside Orient Park.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

I'm not really sure where you see those reports? I checked the Daily Herald and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The island has crime, so the main issue is to be sensible. Don't leave any valuable in your car and make sure you lock up when you leave the house and at night. Don't drink and drive.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

We stay in Grand Case every year in the summer for a few days before we continue to Anguilla or St. Barths.

We have never had any trouble with anyone, but because of the time difference of 5 hours and being it the start of our holidays, we are usually in bed by 9 p.m. the latest....and eat at circa 6 p.m. so it's still just about a day light.

MingMing...have you ever been to Grand Case?

Edited: 10:20 am, November 19, 2013
Sun City Center...
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

I've travelled to St Maarten for 15 years, we stay on the Dutch side and several times we go to Grand Case for lunch and have never felt uncomfortable or had any issues. But we do go during the day and have not gone at night

MiMaw

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

Thanks, everyone. I truly appreciate your comments. I'll report back on this thread when I get back.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving Thursday...Slightly Nervous...

WE stayed at Le Petit at least 5 times and loved it...hope you'll like it too