We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Case Security

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
134 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Case Security

We were cautioned by a restauranteur in Grand Case last week to stay on the Boulevard because it was not safe to venture into the areas away from the main street. This was from a francophone at a restaurant that is regularly discussed on this forum. I was quite surprised. Can anyone confirm or deny this warning.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Case Security

We just returned from SXM tonight. We had a great time, beautiful beaches and the water was fabulous! Security has come up a number of times in this forum and my experience is that it is a concern. I had several of the locals caution us to be very careful, always lock your car and be aware of the surroundings! We stayed in a villa in the Oyster Bay area and while the villa was secure, it still bothered me that break ins was relatively common. When the locals warn you...you should listen! If we go back it will stay in a resort that is guarded and access is minimized.

Grand case was not impressive to me...really liked the Mullet Bay Area, Cupe Coy, Great Bay and Little Bay. Not that impressed with Grand Case...but if you go make sure to checkout Bacchus, located behind the US Grocery Store just north of GC.

While I do not want to be negative, earlier in the week I wished I had better checked the security of the location we were staying in.

Smike

montreal
Level Contributor
62 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Case Security

I was looking at Villa Leones in Oyster Pond and I am wondering how the security is. I stayed at Mt Vernon last time in SXM but I heard Oyster bay was pretty safe.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Case Security

A few suggestions...Ask for details about the villa, I did not ask these questions:

- Does the villa have a security system? Where I stayed I was given a security service that I could call but the house was not wired with a security system.

- Does the front gate open and close automatically? Again...where we stayed I kept the gate closed at all times, closed and opened manually!

- Are the windows at the floor level and front door covered and locked with bars? Adequate where we stayed

- is the house equipped with automotic shutters? Should be in place when you leave and when you go to bed at night

- Ask if the unit has been broken into in the past? You may or may not get an honest answer

My experience in SXM was quite good, had a great time! I was naive about understanding the area I was vacationing in, encourage all of you to do your homework...in the end you will sleep better at night!

Smike

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
544 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Case Security

We have never felt unsafe in Grand Case. As with any city or town in the world, you simply need to be aware of your surroundings and try not to draw attention to yourself as a potential target. Some of the areas off the beaten path can be a little scary but those areas aren't tourist-oriented and really, I don't know why anyone would frequent those areas anyway.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Case Security

There is no real reason to leave the Boulevard as all the good restaurants are there. Saying that though I have never felt threatened there at night on any side street when parking. I was surprised at how fast this thread was hijacked though. Grand Case and Oyster Pond are quiet far apart.

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
134 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Case Security

Quite far apart? They are both in the French Part on the East side. My map isn't very good, but I would estimate they are no more than three miles apart. In any event it's a small island. As I said I was quite surprised by the warning, it generally isn't good for business to volunteer warnings like that, and so I presume it was both accurate and well intended. A customer who gets mugged is even worse for business. We stayed at a resort with a guard and a gate arm at the entrance, maybe I should have thought more about that fact. In truth I am not going anywhere I need automatic shutters and have to worry about closing them at nite. Period.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Case Security

Concerns about crime seem valid for St Martin.

There will always be people adopting the "It's no worse than anywhere else, just be careful" because either they like the place, or don't want tourists put off, or because they themselves have had no issues.

But the sheer number of posts about crime compared to many of the other destination threads I'm tracking indicates there IS a real issue people need to be aware of.

We almost switched to St Barts for the whole of our trip to Grand Case because we don't really want to go to a place where you have to not wear an expensive watch, risk getting your car broken into - things which in London we don't really worry about in the area we live in. And which we never worry about in south of france, or even Capetown.

The other thing I wonder is whether the island's tourist/governing bodies do their best to not report crimes - there have been examples this year of some places in Indian ocean which actively surpressed stories of e.g. known shark attack deaths as they didn't want to paint the place in a bad light.

Not saying it's happening here, but there's no shortage of people poo-pooing the idea that crime is an issue/you just need to exercise normal precautions etc.

We'll report back, but by and large are looking forward to it without being paranoid!

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Case Security

We had no problems in Grand Case. We mainly stayed on the main Rd, but did go to the bakery on a side street on several occasions. Never heard someone warn us not to wander and never felt unsafe.

The fact that a resort is proactive and has security is not a bad sign....

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Case Security

Here's my take on the subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147346-i222-k4753…

Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Case Security

I have been to many carribean cities and felt safer in Grand

case than anywhere but a gated community. We rented an apt on the beach, walked the beach at night and never in two weeks were we approached in any hassling or inappropriate manner. We are 2 married Americans in our 60's. This is the best of the caribbean! Viva la France!!!!