We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking French

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking French

Having never traveled out of the US. I am assuming that some portion of the folks on St Martin speak English. All of my dealings with the hotel have been in English and I don't want to assume that everyone on the island speaks English. I'm thinking about taking some French classes at the community college just so that the experience might be a little bit 'richer'. But was curious if language would be an issue?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking French

It will be beneficial to speak a little French, to read a menu, a road sign, etc., but most folks do speak English and you probably won't have a language problem.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking French

English is widely spoken, but it is nice to greet people with a Bonjour before you ask any questions. sil vous plait & merci go a long way!

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking French

I also thought I would try to learn some french, was thinking about rosetta stone. I wonder if there is a app language converter for the I-phone or I-pod

4. Re: Speaking French

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 03, 2012