We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Which Grand Case hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ct, usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Hi...Can anyone who has been to Grand Case Beach Club real recently, please offer a report on jellyfish at their two beaches (mostly their private one). Two summers ago, too many jellyfish; forced us off the beach. Leaving July 14th. Any updates appreciated! Thanks.

Charleston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

We just returned from GCBC (4-8 July) and saw no jelly fish on either side of beach. Unless they show up this week, you should be fine!

ct, usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

oh, ty so much for your reply...I feel much better -- we so love their beach and in 2006, we landed up at isle pinel most of the time to avoid the jellyfish.

Wilmington, Delaware
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Hi,

We are first-time visitors, and will be arriving at Grand Case Beach Club on the 19th. I read your post, and since you've been there before, I thought I'd ask you a few questions - if you don't mind.

How do you call home, while there? Phone cards have been mentioned on this site, but do you purchase them in the U.S. beforehand, or purchase them while on St. Maarten? If so, where?

I'm also concerned about the crime that I've been reading about, and now have some doubts about even choosing St. Maarten as our destination. Hopefully, these fears will be laid to rest upon our arrival and our time there. But in the meantime, we were planning to walk to "restaurant row" from the GCBC. When you were last there, did you do it and was it safe?

Finally, can you recommend any restaurants for food and wine shoppping? We were not planning to rent a car. It seems like there's too much drama with break-in's, etc.

Thanks so much!

islandreams, de, usa

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Hi,

We are first-time visitors, and will be arriving at Grand Case Beach Club on the 19th. I read your post, and since you've been there before, I thought I'd ask you a few questions - if you don't mind.

How do you call home, while there? Phone cards have been mentioned on this site, but do you purchase them in the U.S. beforehand, or purchase them while on St. Maarten? If so, where?

http://www.queenofsxm.com/default.php

Rent a cell phone from Sharon - she will provide the access codes and all necessary information.

I'm also concerned about the crime that I've been reading about, and now have some doubts about even choosing St. Maarten as our destination. Hopefully, these fears will be laid to rest upon our arrival and our time there. But in the meantime, we were planning to walk to "restaurant row" from the GCBC. When you were last there, did you do it and was it safe?

You can walk into town fron GCBC, a short five minute walk.

Finally, can you recommend any restaurants for food and wine shoppping? We were not planning to rent a car. It seems like there's too much drama with break-in's, etc.

Restaurants for food and wine shopping? You mean supermarkets? Bounty at the triangle near the pharmacy and US Import/Export near the police station are small markets that have what you need but the larger ones are better for price and selection. Since you have no rental car the smaller ones will have to do.

http://www.grandcase.com/restaurants.html

US Import is near the "Pirate" on the map.

Thanks so much!

Wilmington, Delaware
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Thanks for all of your information. Are the cell phones pre-arranged with Sharon while still in the

states, or after we arrive?

If we chose to rent a car, could you recommend some supermarkets for food shoppping? It'd be great if they also sold wine! And would you recommend that we use cash for our purchases, credit cards or travelers checks?

Thanks!

islandreams_8

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

I suggest you arrange your cell phone with Sharon before arrival, ASAP, Sharon will give you a cell phone number that you can pass on to family & friends before leaving for the Island. Sharon also delivers phones to certain hotels or you can pick it up at Royal Palm Hotel that will be on your way to Grand Case.

http://www.legrandmarche.net/

Shopping here is best because you can get everything you need in one stop, one visit and pay in USD. They have a location in Cole Bay near the border directly on the way to Grand Case.

Credit cards, cash and TC's are all good. Bring two credit cards, one for the hotel & car rental, the same one, and the other for all other charges.

Some restaurants on the French side may still be offer 1:1 exchange for CASH or TC's so have some USD and also to avoid the fees imposed by credit card companies for foreign transaction/excahnges.

ct, usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

hi islanddreams....

I am also renting a phone from Sharon, thru the advice from the good people on this site.

I always rent a car on the island -- I think you'll be disappointed if you don't -- though I guess you could hire a cab or rent for a day or so.

I will be at GCBC from the 14th-24th of July....I am traveling with my 12 year old daughter and we will be in an oceanfront room -- tell me who you are and maybe we'll see you there!....

...no problem with the car there -- don't travel at night and don't keep anything of value in it....this way, you can travel and see all the beaches!

...what others say about walking in to town is true -- but I don't do it because we are just two people (one adult) -- if you're two adults, I would have no problem with that....or take a cab there...it's five minutes, max.

You will love GCBC -- it is the best place ever!...I do all my shopping at Grand Marche on the Dutch side before I drive to the hotel -- on the French side, again, if you don't have a car, you won't be totally happy with the shopping choices, but perhaps that does not really matter for you -- enjoy!

foodwsie, we eat very simple -- and we love La California in Grand Case....wine, I can't suggest because I do not drink on the trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

Bobcat, just curious. I have seen your advice before on two credit cards and understand the reason for that. And you then recommend using one only for hotel and car. Why do you recommend this practice?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

islandresident - It has to do with credit card blocking - the practice merchants use to insure they are paid for goods & services - they place a block or HOLD on funds until their account is settled, the larger amounts are placed by hotels and car rental agencies and sometimes can leave little or no available credit on the cardholders card to be used for other charges.

Thank you for asking this question. It does come up from time to time.

ftc.gov/bcp/…cre11.shtm

10. Re: Jelly Fish at GC Beach Club?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 05, 2009