We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

We traveled to Grand Case last year and loved it. We are planning a trip back to the Caribbean and want to explore a new island but want the same perks of Grand Case- the good food, nice beaches, laid back bars that are open late. Any suggestions?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,370 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

I'm sure there are many places that fill the bill. My one suggestion from my limited experience would be Barbados. The famous Gap Rd in St Lawrewnce is a mile long street (like Grand Case Blvd) of restaurants, hotels, beaches, bars so if you are staying in this area you can walk to a different restaurant every night.

Also in this area is the famous Plantation Show, over the years it has become a bit pricey but still worth it for the all you can eat dinner, open bar, dancing and live show.

http://www.plantationtheatre.com/

http://barbados.org/orestloc.htm

http://barbados.org/stlaw.htm

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

St. John comes to my mind. Also Curacao may be similar, great beaches, food and beach bars. St. Barts certainly has the food and beaches but it will cost you, especially with the Euros. Bobcats review of Barbados is right on, the southcoast has a lot of fun things to do and the beaches are great. Good luck.

Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Thank you so much for your suggestions & ideas. I really appreciate it. Barbados sounds perfect. Thank you!

ny
Level Contributor
310 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

We were recently in St. Lawrence Gap in Barbados, and we found that area to be run down. We also felt unsafe, as we were regularly accosted by aggressive peddlers (of, among other things, drugs) on the main street, which was poorly lit and not well traveled.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
299 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Sounds like Playa del Carmen in Mexico might fit the bill. Not at all like Cancun. Very laid back, beach town (with a Euopean flare). Lots of open air Resteraunts and low-keyed bars. (They also have there discos as well. No need for a cab. Several beach clubs Mamita's. Kool, Zenzi...I recommend staying at Hotel La Tortuga. We stayed there last month and averaged $150 a day in food and drinks.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Take a look into Aruba. Great beaches.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Barbados is the place to for an Oistins experience

It is bigger than Grand Case and in my opinion so much better

won a Zagat award.

north of Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

I love Grand Case and would go back anytime, It is a hard vibe to match. I have also been to Barbados and stayed in various parts of the island. I do not believe that the Gap area has the same feel as Grand Case at all - BUT the West Coast - St James area is closer to that feeling. There are lots of nice restaurants here and great accommodation too.

I did not feel as safe in the GAP area - there were many more people begging and trying to sell you stuff - and the meals we had there aside from the beachfront lunch at the Divi Southwinds was not very good at all.

If you go to Barbados make sure you go to Cutters - which is on the main rd not far past the airport towards Crane Beach. They have great food - pizza is the best and you can arrange take-out and picnic baskets for the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Although expensive, I think the St. Jean bay area of St. Bart's is great. It has the wonderful French vibe, great bars and restaurants, plus it feels alot safer.

Level Contributor
8,552 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Case elsewhere in the Caribbean?

Agree with Naveron..St. Jean area would be a good choice with the added feature of feeling secure...a feeling which we did not have in Grand Case in Jan. 2009.