We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debit card as cash ??

RHODE ISLAND
8 posts
Save Topic
debit card as cash ??

Does anyone know if a debit card is accepted as cash. Going down to Grand Case the end of April and I'm trying to judge how much cash to take, due to the euro exchange.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: debit card as cash ??

Don't count on it. I just got back from Grand Case, you can charge stuff pretty much everywhere, but your not going toget a break 1 to 1 wise. Also be warned some restaurants Le Tastevin in particular will not let you put a tip on the card. Tips are only accepted as cash which is a crock, its just so they dont have to report it.

RHODE ISLAND
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: debit card as cash ??

Thanks for the warning.........

Dorset ,UK
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: debit card as cash ??

Hi gregwrhodeisland .met you in ocean club TCI last year (Gary UK ).Just buy a heap of cocktails , a big fat cigar and don't worry about the money .Enjoy !

Reefcowboy

Northampton...
Level Contributor
75 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: debit card as cash ??

With the euro at 1.588 and most resturants in grand case on last friday night empty you can get great food on the dutch side for $ just as good. Most of the french are 1.30 to 1.50 not worth it my thought. The LOLOs $4 per rib rack $2 for vegtables $2 for 4 johnny cakes.

Atlanta, Ga.
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: debit card as cash ??

Greg- my wife and I are old SXM visitors and are headed down on Saturday- I did not see any answers to your question. Like you I have heard of 1:1 exchange for cash but also heard of $100/ person dinners. what do you know

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: debit card as cash ??

Greg - I have never seen the debit card getting the 1:1 ratio on the French side. it's cash or travelers cheques only. TC's are accepted everywhere so it's a great option if you don't want to carry much cash.

Atlanta, Ga.
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: debit card as cash ??

just spoke to American Express who told me that they would be happy to use the Exchange Rate at moment of the transaction- which is really terrible-from what I can tell, my dollar will buy me about .6 euros. So no Credit cards for me.

Travellers checks seem like a much better idea

8. Re: debit card as cash ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 23, 2009