We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel??????????

De
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which hotel??????????

I am stuck between this one Le Petit, and Esmeralda. I just cant seem to find a breaking point with either of them. I love the ocean, and HATE crowds. I do like some amenities. I also think the private pools are neat at Esmeralda. The rooms look a little outdated tho, and maybe a bit run down. The beach at Le Letit is so very private, but looks as if it may be very narrow, more so than the one at Esmeralda. I am looking for the most privacy without giving up every amenity.

thanks, Julia

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel??????????

Of the 2 I would choose Le Petite hotel.

Have you tried looking into L'Esplanade or Grand Case Beach Club ? These might be better choices for you.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
812 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel??????????

I second the recomendation. Both are excellent choices.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel??????????

the beach at Le Petit is narrow. it is not the bests section of the ebach but it is nice and the views from the balconies are to die for.

Another choice is the sister hotel L'Esplanade. It is located on a prettier section of beach and the hotel grounds are beautiful..only drawback is having to walk down soem steps to the beach.

GCBC is another very nice option.

De
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel??????????

I did look at L'Esplanade, and was concerned about those steps. We enjoy our cocktails...LOL...and we also want to be able to walk right out onto the beach:) Although we would like privacy, activity and amenities are more important. Of course, the beach quality for snorkeling etc is high prioity too. We want to be right on the beach. That is why Esmeralda looked good. Is there a problem with it that Im not aware of, other than the fact of the rooms being somewaht outdated?

After talking it over my husband told me he wanted something like the westin. That one looks so crowded and touristy. Some of the reviews look good, but but Im concerned about crowds. They did have everything we are looking for tho. As far as the GCBC I had read some reviews and something bothered me. Should I relook based on what we are wanting.

priority list

1 beach right there

2 activity like snorkling etc

3service...lots of things like bars that serve you on the beach...swim up pools to a bar...things like that (not exactly that)

not crowded

4nightlife not too far away...15 - 20 min ride ok

5 room quality and comfort

I know thats a tall order, but I dont expect it all...just as close as possible...have no idea what the island is really like

thanks for your help

I am going to relook at the GCBC reviews:) Julia

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
812 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel??????????

priority list

1 beach right there: Two beaches, Grand Case and Petite Plage just steps from your room.

2 activity like snorkeling etc: SXM is not known for great snorkeling, some of the best is at Creole Rock which is right off Petite Plage. All non-motorized water sports are free.

3service...lots of things like bars that serve you on the beach...swim up pools to a bar...things like that (not exactly that). The pool is small and not near the bar, but you can have drinks delivered to the beach on Petite Plage. You raise a little flag and the waiter is there promptly.

4. not crowded: Not crowded!

4nightlife not too far away...15 - 20 min ride ok. 5 minute walk to 20+ restaurants & bars.

5 room quality and comfort: When we stayed there 18 months ago the rooms were not 5*, but I believe many have been recently renovated. Our 1 bdr was large, with a full kitchen, clean and nice décor. Walk 10 feet from the patio door an you are at the sea wall.

Here are some photos: s99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/lasermansxm/…

De
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel??????????

beautiful pics...thanks:)

I am going to run that list by mu husband, cause it looks like weve found a winner. It seems like you cant have it all anywhere...well, in anything really, but its really nice reading that we can have our top priorities. wondering if GCBC has free chairs and 'brellas, and snorkel stuff...

Do you know anything about the Westin...just looked crowded:(...but had lots to do...and the Esmeralda looked neat with its pool on every room, and adjoining hot tubs..no one really replied to that question...do you know that hotel?

sorry if Im bombarding you with questions. My husband has left the choice all up to me,, so if I mess up I will feel really bad, not to mention us blowing thousands of dollars..

thanks again Julia

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
812 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel??????????

Chairs and parasols (unbrellas), snorkle gear, etc are free for guests at GCBC. The Westin get good reviews, but its not our style and the way they destroyed the wetlands there disturbs me.

portsmouth ri
Level Contributor
86 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel??????????

julia- you keep mentioning privacy- that is something you will not have at GCBC- somedays it is hard to even get a lounge chair as they are all taken with mostly pretty old people... the rooms are all very close- if you sit on your patio or deck you will have a parade walking by---the snorkeling is quite limited- a couple fish out by the rock - nothing to write home about-- the rooms are only so so- nothing fancy at all for the price-- the restaurant is pretty good-- and the location for walking to the restaurants is great-- what about renting a villa in terre basse? sometimes the pricing is better-- good luck

staten island
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel??????????

l'esplande for sure

ck out their website

i have stayed there 5xs

greatservice

clean

quite

romantic

it is lovely

d

10. Re: Which hotel??????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 07, 2009