We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/31…

This has been a long-running dispute centering around whether the newest owners of SBRandM had to abide by labor contracts that were in place by the previous owner. Labor won initial battles in this case, but the appeals court said no go for labor.

Labor's only "resort" now is to appeal to the high court in the Hague.

Hopefully this will calm things down for owners and potential visitors.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

this has been ongoing for a number of years and i seriously doubt this latest ruling will "calm things down" for anyone as long as there is another appeal option even if it's at the Hague (which the article clearly states labor is already looking at). for anyone with a dog in this fight i would recommend following travel talk on line.com many owners who stand on both sides of this issue have been posting in detail about what is going on and links for a very long time. this issue is not front and center in this forum as most posters are vacation travellers and not actual owners with a financial stake in the property.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

I'll take your point that from an owner's perspective, "it ain't over 'till it's over", so my statement was probably an overreach there. However, don't think this wasn't a concern to me as a recent traveler, either.

I was just there (Villas) between August 11-18, and what I was hearing during the course of the summer leading up to my trip was whether the ownership might have to actually close the resort down at any time -- which would have let me and my party high and dry. So yes, this situation should be front and center on the minds of any potential visitors. It was for me.

It seems for now that in the immediate future, anyway, there aren't major worries for visitors in that regard.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

not down playing your concerns just stating the FACTS regarding this situation and it's priority in this forum as someone who not only has been visiting sxm for a number of years but also as a contributor to TA for a number of years not only in this forum but others as well. for those with a dog in this fight whether it's as a one-time traveller or an owner this forum is not the best place to keep abreast of the situation. that's not a right or wrong statement...it just is based on the postings since the overall issue began which was with overall ownership not just union issues! the forum for those looking for constant up to date info on this situation is travel talk on line. i have been an active and participating member of TA for a number of years and in a number of forums. this is not a slam against TA or the OP. just pointing those in need of info on this situation to a more informative site for this issue.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

Posting that article in "The Daily Herald" was helpful for travelers planning a stay in the very near future at SBR since the resort, as mentioned, has been held hostage by WIFOL (worker's labor union) for the last two years. It removes the anxiety about whether the resort would soon close down because of an inability to pay the fines and salaries associated with the workers the resort deemed not necessary for operation.

Should WIFOL decide to take this to the Supreme Court in the Hague it would be a lengthy (up to 3 years) and very costly process and they have already spent a LOT of their members cash already. Operations, renovations and vacations at the resort can now proceed with reasonable sanity.

.....and...anyone who uses ANY forum as their only source of information for ANYTHING needs to expand their world a bit. Any info obtained on a public forum should always be taken with a grain of salt. Posting a direct link to the info is great for verification and does much more than "They say that...." I heard that..." etc. There are a lot of posters that have a direct interest in what they post and just might buff up their comments a tad......"Trust but verify".....

Edited: 8:23 am, September 04, 2012
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

Thanks for posting, boucharada2000.

That was my point entirely. There have been many general comments in the TA review section and here in the forum about the issues facing the ownership and labor and how it might affect travelers, in particular. This isn't a website for owners and their concerns (although those concerns are absolutely important). It's a website dedicated to travelers. I never implied that this forum or website was the be all and end all of information about what was going on. And to that extent, both MaryJo34 and I are in complete agreement.

But rather than rely on heresay, conjecture, and missives from one side or the other, linking to the actual press article seemed to be the best immediate way to allay concerns for travelers in the near term, in particular. MaryJo34 provided an important service by mentioning the other site where there is more discussion about the issues revolving around this resort. And I'd like to think that unless and until someone mentioned the court case here on THIS site, not many would have even known the details about the other site she referred to re: the specific discussions about SBRM.

6. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina wins appeal vs. labor unions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay