We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

I am glad to report that Great Escape, the Jeanneau 52 we are racing on took third place in class in the Commodores Cup at the Heineken Regatta yesterday. A pretty impressive finish considering the mixed skill levels of our crew. Nathan and Joe, two young guys from Pittsburg who are staying at the Pelican (or whatever it’s called now) signed up for todays race and had never been on a sailboat before; they had watched the boats go by for years from their parents timeshare and finally decided to join in the fun! JoJo and myself have very limited racing and spinnaker experience. I have to give credit to our skipper, Ed, who managed a perfect start on the second race and also to young Joe who took over genoa grinding duties for me in the second race, his efforts really made a difference. A great time was had by all.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of the racing. We'll be watching from the balcony, so wave as you go by!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

Congratulations! It seems that all the training done earlier this year brought results.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

Yes, but unfortunately we lost the top of our mast while racing on Saturday, no one was injured and we were able to motor to the marina under our own power. Could have been worse, we were plaanning to sail her to the BVI's tonight and that can be a rough ride.

4. Re: Great Escape takes 3rd in class!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, June 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay