We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is SXM in January?

harriston, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is SXM in January?

We visited SXM in March 2005,,,the REgatta was on. Yes, I thought it was kinda busy at times, but not that bad. Over the past 5 years,,has the traffic really increased overall? By what I am reading it seems like it is terrible now.

We arrive in SXM on Jan 19/10 for 1 week.

We are staying in the heart of it at the Royal Palm,,,that was our choice as we like the ability to walk to eat or drink once we park the cars. Just wondering if it could be much worse or more busy than during the Regatta in March/05

Any comments are always appreciated,,,,after all it has been 5 years. Thanks much!!

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is SXM in January?

Although January is right in the midst of high season, I think that the improvements to the island will have alleviated some of the traffic "stalls". This is not to say that there will not be as many cars but hopefully the cars will be moving (other than when the bridge goes up).

For those that haven't been to the island in a while, they have now put a roundabout at the intersection where people normally turn off to go up the mountain toward Philipsburg. According to reports, the traffic is now moving smoothly with less traffic.

They are also in the process of finalizing a road that goes around the outer perimeter of the airport parking lot rather than having the main road cut across between the airport and the lot where people cross the street. The new road is now open BUT they are building another roundabout for, I assume, the people exiting the airport. This may congest traffic a little until it is complete. By the time you arrive, I would think that this will be done.

All good news I would say.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is SXM in January?

We are there, usually, the first 2-3 weeks in January.

It slows down a bit after New Year's, for a couple of weeks.

Nothing like Regatta Week!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is SXM in January?

January is the"low" of high season. Things slow down after the holidays and really pickup in February on Presidents week and through Easter. Just check out the bridge opening hours.

4. Re: How busy is SXM in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay