We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
here
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

I was trying to post this in St Martin general forum, but anyway......

What were the various beaches like when you were there (assuming it was fairly recent)? For example:

- how crowded (or not)

- how many "facilities" (eateries/bars, water rental places etc)

- water: calm or rough etc

- beaches: narrow, wider, short or long, powdery or rougher/rocky

You get the idea........all info appreciated

here
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

PS I have seen this link but that's just 1 opinion :)

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

We all have our favorites for various reasons.

My best is Pinel Isle. Calm water, great lunch at Karibuni, great afternoon sun, good snorkling, great rum punches.

My second best is Mullet Bay. I think it's one of the prettiest beaches on the island. Good ribs at Rosies.

We always do a day or two at Orient. Great beach bars and busy vibe. Lots of water activites. Sometimes too windy and too much seaweed.

Rouge beach is nice ,but sometimes rough water and the sand is difficult to walk on. But Gus & Chez Raymond are both great beach bars.

Anse Marcel is a lovely cove with a beautiful beach and the Radisson has a great tiki bar lunch spot.

so may beaches...so little time...

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

We enjoy Friar's Bay Beach - calm waters in the channel with views of Anguilla, some rocky areas and some steep decline areas, family beach, facilities available, parking lot, two restaurants, Friar's Cafe will give free chairs/umbrella if you purchase from their cafe, more visitors in afternoon, less in mornings.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

I agree with Marigotgirl. Baie Rouge has sand that is hard to walk on and sticks to you even in the shower. Nice beach otherwise. The other beaches she mentioned are also nice for the reasons she stated. I also love Dawn Beach, though the parking can sometimes be difficult.

new york
Level Contributor
117 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

I did not like Orient Beach at all. Very crowded and it wasn't very clean. This beach is where all the cruisers go to when their ship docks so you have a lot of people. It's lined with beach bars so it can get a bit noisy. The view is spectacular with the mountains in the background. I would only go if I had a rental car but would not waste money on a cab to make a trip there unless that is your scene.

here
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

Thanks all. I just got back and here is my .02 for beaches we hit. I should add we aren't hard-core "beach bums" (ie staying really long stretches) and we were busy doing other things. Also a general comment, there are no "bad" beaches that I saw, it's just better or not relative to each other, liked them all.......anyway......

- Dawn Beach: we stayed right at OBBR so the convenience made this a fav. Kind of small but nice.

- "Rouge Beach:" water very choppy, sandy bottom uneven, so didn't even try to get in...but liked that it was sparsely populated and like the rocks near the beach, kind of scenic in that way. PS the sand looks like most others, I saw no "red tint" as advertised FWIW.

- Friars Bay: water was nice but otherwise my least fav. The road to get to it is rough, the beach was kind of trashy (including lots of cigarette butts - how classy), it is very small, and worst of all, all the locals/merchants there were incredibly obnoxious jerks, to put it kindly. First I bought a bottled water at one of the places there and the guy was barely polite. Then we sat down in 2 chairs and had a guy come up and ask for money - we didn't know you had to pay (no one at any time ever mentioned this and there were no signs). He got PO'd when we tried to explain this.....we moved to the other spot with other chairs, thinking it was just that one area. Nope, same for the next one, and this guy was even ruder. Guess they don't do "the friendly island" thing there. If I go back to St Martin, that beach will be last on my list.

- Orient Beach: probably my fav...helping was that no ships had come in and it wasn't really over-crowded. Water was great, beach is big, and convenient since the jet ski, parasail, etc places are all right there. And OK the occasional cute naked women passing by didn't hurt (PS I was surprised how many good-looking ones there were when we were there, frankly). Oh for anyone who hasn't gone, just FYI that very few people were actually naked, and women were topless only. The whole thing seems very overhyped. Weird how it doesn't seem to matter when it's not "taboo" anymore though.

Upton, Massachusetts
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

There is a NUDE section....the main part fo the beach is for those wearing bathing suites, or if you choose to go topless, you can do that on the main secion of Orient as well.

There is a siggn postign where the nude section starts.

You have to go looking for the naked people. :o)

8. Re: ST MARTIN beach "reviews" - what you did/didn't like

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay