We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philipsburg vs Marigot

Allentown...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Philipsburg vs Marigot

Our cruise ship; will be docked in St Maarten for one day. Excursion we are interested in include the Butterfly Farm and either Philipsburg or Marigot. Which is better? We are not huge shoppers, and we prefer just to experience the best of either of those two cities.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

They are "different" not" better" - this is a free port everything is duty free - too bad you're not shoppers - in any event you can have lunch on the beach in Philipsburg or near the harbor or lagoon in Marigot - I suggest Marigot in your tour as you will be able to see Philipsburg on your own after returning from the arranged tour and before you board your ship in the evening - so you can do all three.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

Thanks! I had thought about "doing all three" since we must return to Philipsburg to get on board the ship. I love all things French so that's why Marigot intrigues me. Other TripAdvisor posts talk about crime in Marigot...any truth to that? I kinow there is crime everywhere, but other posts talk about Marigot "going downhill", "empty store fronts" etc

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php…

Edited: 8:52 am, April 09, 2012
OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

Marigot has been hit hard by the economy. But it is beginning to come back a bit. It still has it's charm with lovely outdoor cafes, lots of shopping opportunities, and that European Flair. There is crime on both sides of the island. Purse snatchers, car break in's and the like. If given the choice of where to spend my day, it would most certainly be Marigot.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

Thanks for your help.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

there is much more action on the boardwalk in Philipsburg. Lots of water sports and beach bars to have lunch at. Marigot will be quieter but the open air market there is very nice.

There is no reason you can't see Marigot and the butterfly Farm and then do Philipsburg

7. Re: Philipsburg vs Marigot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Marigot