We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone back from Great Bay?

toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone back from Great Bay?

Posted on: 2:25 pm, today Report inappropriate post

We're going to Great Bay on the 19th. I've tried everything to get us switched to Divi Little and no one is helping. Transat is still sticking to the fact that it's open for business despite the numerous reviews stating that construction is incomplete and hazardous. Did anyone switch to a different hotel? How did you do this without incurring a huge cost. Transat told me we could switch and pay a mere $750.00 to upgrade....what a joke. Also, I asked that the representative fax me their confirmation (that only minor things were left eg. painting). This was last Wed. 9th, still haven't received this and doubt I will so that they can't be held accountable. Left messages for director and still no reply. I guess once they get our money they don't care to service their customers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're really worried about the state of the hotel, quality of food..etc...

I would love to speak to the travel agent that went (from the East coast..any number?)

Mississauga
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

We too are anxious to hear something positive about this resort as we're leaving on April 2nd and are contemplating switching to another resort with Air Transat.

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

We just got back last night....the only problem we had was the two people on our plane going to the DR on the way down(1/2 hour wait)..it was ALL fantastic!!!

Rooms-All redone. Food ..better than the last 5 years..all pools open(not the one at the Miramar...this is being rebuilt into timeshare)

Now lets talk about the smell,or lack there of.

There was NONE all week..they have been working on it..adding clean water...as a matter of fact..there were two ducks swimming around the pond!!

Now, don't forget that there is a lot of drinking going on on holidays...so don't trip..watch your step...some people go back to thier rooms with wet bathing suits..wet floor..slippery..proceed with caution.

If you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth..this is not for you.However this is a GREAT place to go for a relaxing break!!

have to go now....gotta get back to the grind...UUGGHH!!!!

Dan & Pam

Mississauga

Michigan, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

Hi Mallory, my wife and I switched after much consternation and outright lying by the Great Bay staff. These posts were what got Apple Vacations to change. And they were very good to work with I might add. No penalty whatsoever and got an upgrade to Punta Cana.

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

Mallory....Don't panic..you will be taken care of..so stay where you are(Punta Cana is NO St Maarten) it's nice..but with all the health problems over there who knows...we just got back..it is really improved!!The food is better than it has been the last 6 years,the rooms are all re-done...new everthing,furniture,bath fixtures..new pool..swim up bar(a lot of people were permanent fixtures with permanent smiles in the 88 degree weather!!)Most of the posts(bad ones) were from a month ago...It is so hard to please everyone when one is making so many changes( Maybe it was a mistake to open too early)But time heals all wounds..and she is a beautiful place to stay!!

Go and have a blast...and don't sweat the petty things!!

Dan & Pam

Mississauga

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

HI Dan/Pam.

Some of things that where happening at Great Bay where valid things that did happen. As I said in my previous email once everything is sorted out, it will be a great hotel. I must ask if you where there when all this stuff was going on. I had no air conditioning in our room-i asked for another room, but no rooms available. We had to wait until 5:30 that night to get a room and was not sure if we would get one. The smelll was there every day-it was awful!! There was sharp object on the beach from construction. They dumped that pond into the ocean where we swam. Sometimes they ran out of food. We have been on many all inclusive trips and this was by the the worst that we had to deal with. As you said in another message-we also are not born with a silver spoon in our mouth. I am glad the hotel is up and running, but for those people that where there when it opened-IT SUCKED!!!!!

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

It is too bad that they let you in early...I'm sure it left a bad taste in your mouth.We got back on Sunday past...We truly had a blast!! I have been there when it was 3.5 star...but now with the upgrades in all the rooms..and the restaurants..it was great!!

While we were there they were still working on the bottom floors..didn't even notice..they were also working on the Miramar section..I think I heard a drill one day...but we did not complain...the waves crashing on the beach drowned it out!!

By now (or in the next weeks) the bottom floors will be done...but you won't see anything...we never did.

As far as Air Transat..well they did come and get us a day late..but no biggie..sometimes you just have to relize that some things are out of your control..so with lemons you make lemonade!! I hope I don't sound to lax...but it sure is better than those old posts...what a difference a few days make.

I hope I have put your minds at ease.....mine is!!!

Dan

Dan & Pam

Mississauga

Edmonton
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone back from Great Bay?

Just returned from 2 weeks on March 15. See my reply to the posted message above yours.