We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best option for phone usage

Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
The best option for phone usage

Can anyone give me some advice on the best and cheapest way to contact the US? And what about phone use locally? When I traveled to Spain I used a calling card but I would like to have the convenience of the cell phone while driving around. I saw online a website that lets you rent a cellphone for $20 a week plus minutes. The name of the site is QueenofSXM. My cell phone carrier is AT&T.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,370 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best option for phone usage

https://queenofsxm.com/

--------------------------------

www.sxm-services.com/packlight/index.html

--------------------------------

Here are two options.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best option for phone usage

If you have an unlocked tri-band cell----you can go to a service provider ---Telem is one___ and purchase a sim and the minutes you need with an assigned no..If you need additional minutes you can purchase minutes from the provider or most little markets.One advantage to this is 1) no phone to return & 2) you have phone service to "wheels-up--take-off.The chip --sim will cost you 10 bucks and whatever minutes you purchase @ about 0.32-------0.33 cents a minute. If you are staying in or close to Simpson Bay,there is a Telem office there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The best option for phone usage

I usually use Skype for my calls back home but a couple of years ago we had some family issues that needed us to be able to be reached. I rented a phone from Sharon (The Queen of SXM) and it worked out great.. Her office is right in Simpson Bay (Royal Palm) and she will give you your phone number before you leave home. I believe it was $30 for 2 weeks plus minutes (incoming calls are no charge to you)

No problems at all and VERY convenient

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best option for phone usage

We used Sharon in September. The first phone we got just didn't work, staying on the French side. She replaced it but we had to go over to the Palms to do that. The second phone worked up until the battery died, then it would not take a charge, from the land line charger or the car charger. Cost us over $400 in phone bills from the hotel in Grand Case and another $100 for the cell phone that didn't work. I think this trip we will just pay the roaming on our cells, it could not cost anymore!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The best option for phone usage

Wow! $100...that's a lot of minutes used since the phone is $20/week ( 4 hours of talk time over a week). I think I would have made another trip to get a new battery before spending an additional $400 to make calls from the resort.

If you are only making outgoing calls from your resort then Skype is most definitely your friend....calls to the USA from SXM are 2.3 cents a minute. I use it all the time when away from the USA. You can call the USA and talk for 4 hours for less than $6

Sharon was recommended to me by many people on the Island and was great to use. I would definitely use her again in a similar situation.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best option for phone usage

The reference to a popular lady that rents phones is like going to a middleman. She is purchasing your service from an Island service provider. Nothing wrong with it. Just understand the total situation. Using your phone gives you access to your phonebook--- you don't have to turn it in----you don't have to pay a refundable security fee and you will have phone service to the time you leave the island....at 32 or 33 cents a minute.

You can also rent phones & use phones at The MailBox in Simpson Bay. Some car rentals also provide phone for their customers.

Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The best option for phone usage

Thanks for all your advice guys! This really helps

Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The best option for phone usage

I like this option the best but is this expensive?

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best option for phone usage

Which one are you referring to?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The best option for phone usage

It is a BIG assumption that someone would normally have an unlocked tri-band phone. Most cell users purchased their phone at a discount under contract with a certain service provider. (locked)

Yes, you can buy an unlocked phone at a significantly increased price, and, if you have the tech saavy, you possibility can unlock your present phone. If I made MANY trips a year to foreign countries that would definitely be the way to go......but.....for the normal vacationer it would be MUCH simpler to just rent a phone from whoever you choose (or use Skype)

Edited: 9:13 am, October 19, 2012