We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

Which Philipsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

Hi, my wife and I are going on a cruise in Jan/06 and are more interested in beaches and scenery than shopping. Since we have only

1 day in Philipsburg, Is it possible to get to, and to enjoy a beach in this limited time? If so then where?

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

bump

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

If you want to go close-by...go to Dawn Beach. You can snorkle there.

I was there in 1998 and Dawn Beach was never crowded. I went back in 2004 during a cruise, and was surprised at how crowded Dawn Beach was! It seemed the cruise people were all going there. If you go, go early and go back to the ship earlier to avoid the crowds.

If you want a gorgeous beach that is not crowded, you cannot beat Baie Rougue on the French side. Not so much for snorkeling...but if you want to lay on the beach without a crowd..this beach is awesome! One of my all time favorite beaches!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

Thanks for the info. We will be sailing to St. Martin next month and would also like only to go swimming. Does this beach have a restaurant/bar?

Ontario
Level Contributor
398 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

Yes, Baie Rouge has two restaurant/bars. The waves there can be a bit intimidating though so make sure you are good swimmers or stay close to shore.

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: beaches and snorkeling in St.Maarten

Ottawan,

It is definitely possible to get to and enjoy a beach while you're only on the island for the day. We normally stay on St. Martin for a week but we also have stopped there on cruises and found that it is possible to find a cab driver who will drive you to the beach, wait for you, and then drive you back to the boat. (Not too expensive either--since he is guaranteed the return trip.)

I have to amplify what the earlier poster said: Baie Rouge is **awesome**. Orient is cool, don't get me wrong -- it has a quiet end, a naked end, party in the middle, bars, watersports, shopping, etc. -- but I also enjoy finding my own little place that is off the beaten path.

Along those lines, Cupecoy is cool too. Despite it being close-by, we had Cupecoy entirely to ourselves in June.

Remember there are like 30 beaches on the island so do lots of research, pick one, and if you get tired of it, have your cabbie take you to the next one on the list :)

/pbz

Get answers to your questions about Philipsburg