We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back!..sooooo...

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back!..sooooo...

if u need any info i'll be happy to help u out the best i can! stayed @ Grand Case for 8 days(though we went back to that direction frequently!) and 7 days on the Dutch(Pointe Blanche).Had the most fabulous time,put on 500 miles on our lil Kia! & took almost 400 pictures !! So u can say we saw &did alot !The colors of the ocean,sunsets&nites will forever be burned in my brain &soul.Also went to Anguilla too.SXM is in my blood now,can't wait to go back!!!For 1st timers i would have to say explore it all,wear bug repellent @all times(learned that alittle too late!)& leave your car Unlocked,always bring everything w/u when leaving your car even for 5 minutes cuz trust me they r watching U(happened to us,just wanted to run down a little path to Baie Longue to c if we wanted to stay& when we came back some1 had already punctured our door locks but must have seen us coming cuz we saw a car speed away)So lesson learned!! I'm so depressed to be back home:( Back to Reality!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

The fact that the security is so obviously a problem and you still had a good time is interesting...

Have you ever been to other Caribbean islands? If so, how would you compare this experience with others? I ask this because I've been going to the Caribbean for more than 25 years and I have never had a single problem or even the hint of one anyplace I have been. (Have not been to SXM)

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

kzdallas, I guess for most of the majority of travelers nothing happens so u don't realize that pretty much where ever u go there will be crime of some sort, in SXM the biggest is the cars.yes it was creepy to know there were people actually hiding & watching us maybe they heard my husband tell me "take your sarong w/u"which i didn't so there was the bait for them,i was shaken a bit from it but it also woke us up to be careful but not ruin the vacation,SXM is a wonderful island because of its split from French to Dutch ,u notice it almost immediately when u cross the borders,personally i preferrred the French, its spreadout , uncongested.intimate& more relaxing where if u want action & vibrantcy go to the Dutch side,the traffic is heavier beacause its the hub its where the oceanliners pull in its The place to shop for bargains & @nite its colors r beautful!!when we stayed on the dutchside luckily i chose a beautiful place in Pt. Blanche that sits high on the hill overlooking it all yet close enough for us to come down do what we needed or wanted to do.another reason i loved SXM it that u can get to see other islands ,went to Anguilla(ocean color was magnificent& pearl beaches)& St. Barth's too was incredible but there is also Saba ,Tintamerre,Prickly Pear, ST. Eureathus(not sure about the spelling!) I just loved it.I have only been to Aruba(twice)&Bahamas so my only comparison is that there is so much more to explore in SXM especially where we had 15 days ,there's only so much sun& shopping we can take & yes i will still go back& probably stay @pt. blanche again becuz we were so near to everything we loved&the French side is still right around the corner!BUT thats after we explore some of the other islands,which 1's do u love after 25 yrs.??

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

Welcome back! Glad you hade a great time.

GOTCHA!!!!!

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

"Thank-U ! if memory serves me well u should be heading off soon?! and thanx again for all your help before my trip.it was great!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

15 days 20h 27m 21s

But who's counting!

alberta canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

We would like to get married on the dutch side. Did you enjoy Pointe Blanche? Any help would be apprecated. It is so hard to know where to stay.

brooklyn,ny
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

i'll be leaving for sxm on the 27th I can't wait.......last year we left at the same time but were snowed in due to the blizzard in ny we got 4 extra days and spent a total of 23 days just awesome. I stayed at the Dove's nest last year and this year we are duing the Pelican on the Dutch side

8. Re: Just got back!..sooooo...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin