We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a wise idea?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a wise idea?

We are only on the island for 5 days and staying in Grand Case. Most days we will probably just spend on Orient Beach, so we were thinking about just using taxis for all transportation. I did get a good price from AAA so I think we will rent a car.

Here's the thing, when we land we thought we would go strait to Sunset Beach bar to watch the planes before going to Grand Case. We will have luggage of course. Would you think it is safe in the trunk at Sunset Bar while we're there? Would it be smarter to actually take the luggage in with us? All these stories of cars being broken into makes me wonder. Thoughts?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a wise idea?

NO, it will certainly NOT be safe at Sunset Bar and Grill. Do not leave anything in your car, including the trunk.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a wise idea?

sxmlover is correct as usual!!!! nothing in your car is to be considered safe.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
555 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a wise idea?

Depending on your arrival time, you MAY be able to get a good spot at the Driftwood Bar on the other side of the beach. I would back in, if there's a spot, and keep an eye on it. Don't leave it unattended even for a minute.

Mid, minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a wise idea?

Wow, in broad daylight at one of the most popular spots on the island with people all around the crime is that terrible in sxm?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a wise idea?

the crime isn't that bad. it's happened of course, otherwise there wouldn't be this practice. it's a well enforced unwritten rule to help keep crime down. and it's because of people not leaving anything in their cars that it stays down. The island, especially the Dutch side, can get very touristy which as all travellers know, can make you a target no matter what. the island isn't as bad as the warnings and such make it out to be. not in the least :) you'll feel very safe i promise!

i'm with the other posters, best not take the chance. take your luggage to the beach bar or try leaving it at the airport for an hour. maybe customer service can hold it? but either way, renting a car makes things much easier. it's only about 20min drive to Grande Case from the airport anyway, can always come back once you're settled :P

HartfordCt
Level Contributor
332 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a wise idea?

The parking lot next to Sunset Beach Bar has a big sign that warns you not to leave anything in your trunk.

During the busy times the parking lot is hectic with people trying to find parking and lots of people coming and going and I can not imagine someone breaking into your car with that many people around.

BUT, with that clear a warning and what you read here on TA I would not leave anything in my car and we didn't. If you were to get broken into I do not think you would get much sympathy from the police or anyone else and you will have ruined your vacation.

Also as Adam has said it is only about 20+ minutes from Grand Case to Sunset Beach Bar. If you do this as a separate trip you will be able to relax and watch all the crazy people without always worrying about your luggage. That is what vacation is about, RELAX - ENJOY

7. Re: Is this a wise idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2016