We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wood burning pizza oven place?

mdjordand
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
wood burning pizza oven place?

Is there a place in Simpson Bay thats kind of outdoors, with wood oven pizza?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

Esco Pazzo at Port de Plaisance resort has wood-fired pizza.

mdjordand
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

How is it?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

I'm the wrong person to ask what I think about it. I'm a snob about wood-fired pizza living in an area dominated by Italians and hardwood trees.

The only answer I can give you to reflect my opinion is that it isn't New England wood-fired pizza, but its certainly better than Dominos.

*Making a small edit to be nicer: the margherita pizza was actually pretty good.

Edited: 4:28 pm, June 26, 2014
St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

Aglio e Olio in Grand Case..worth a visit to the French side. Enjoy your visit!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

Just a word for the purest. There are no native hardwood trees on St Maarten. All wood has to be shipped in, and expensive, so the likelihood that it is true wood made for BBQ's and pizza ovens can be in question. Could be pallet wood.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

This was discussed on another site. Aglio e Olio does import their wood and in no way uses Pallet wood. You can see the wood and it is not flat boards as pallets would be.

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

@ mit43 don't bother trying to debate something he commented on. He is very negative to anything on the French Side. I've noticed that. He's one of those time share retire Simpson bay ppl. Very nice to see a North American actually appreciate something here on the French Side. Hope to read future reviews/comments.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

I see.... We love the French side and always stay in Grand Case! There is nothing we need on the Dutch side besides the Airport.

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

Expired groceries is always a plus over on that side! :) Newest crack down on that side finally! ... Anyways, I live in cul de sac and spend alot of time in Grand Case. Truly is a beauty and sad to see so many tourist pass it by due to isolated events. msg me on your next visit, would love to meet you both. :)

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
541 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wood burning pizza oven place?

The place directly across the street from Topper's supposedly has good wood-fired pizza. Not sure about the quality of the food or if they have outside seating (they've only been open a few months) but Topper mentioned them on Food Stuff Live two weeks ago and said it was good. Since you were asking about Simpson Bay, I thought I'd throw that out - even though, again, I haven't personally been there.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin