We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

Lincolnton, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

Will be here in September and really want to experience ALL that this island has to offer both French and Dutch flavors, as far as dishes what do you recommend trying while still being on a budget?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

Food will be your biggest challenge on a budget. I don't think we had a meal under $30 a pair. However, there are some great cheap eats:

1) Freedom Fighters Ital Shack - It is vegetarian, but totally spectacular. Better Jamaican food than Jamaica.

2) Capt D's in Simpson Bay - he's sorta next to Toppers in a little road-side stand... but his food is great, and the prices are the best on the island

3) Le Sucriere in Simpson Bay for breakfast. It's your typical bakery, but they have tons of savory pastries for cheap... and one dollar fresh baguettes (I ate a baguette a day while there - simply amazing flavor).

4) Go to a restaurant at happy hour, and share a couple of things. We went to the Greenhouse a few times around 4 or 5, had a couple of 2-for-1 drinks and split an appetizer. Surprisingly filling without breaking the bank.

5) Definitely plan to go to Yvette's in Quartier d'Orleans. If this is the only nice sit-down meal you have, this is the place to go. Best creole food I've ever had anywhere. ANYWHERE. And i also had snapper 4 times in SXM, and Yvette's does it BEST! it's also not pretentious, and is priced very reasonably.

6) If you can cook while on your trip, check out the Market in Marigot on Saturday for some off-the-boat seafood

7) Check out "Cappuccino" in Simpson Bay, right across from Le Sucriere. Cheapest prices for food I found anywhere, open 24 hours, but definitely not the best of anything. But they do have a good variety.

8) Finally, LoLos in Grand Case. The Sky's The Limit will do dollar-for-euro, so it actually isn't too bad.

Oh yeah, I forgot about all-you-can-eat ribs at the Harbor Queen. It's around $25 for that, but if you can put away some food, there's no limit on what you can eat.

Johnny B's under the Tree in SXM probably has the best prices for Lobster, and it's a cool little place.

There's great snacking to be had with the affordable french cheeses and baguettes.

That said, there are Domino's Pizza and Burger King, which both provide super affordable options. One night at our hotel, we ran into a guy with a Domino's pizza. They had just arrived, and this was the first thing they ordered. I almost cried for them right on the spot. You're in the foodie capital of the Caribbean, and the first place you're gonna go is Domino's? You coulda gone to Gulf Shores or Pensacola Beach and saved a small fortune.

Edited: 10:26 am, June 23, 2014
Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

For local food, I second Yvette's. For local and inexpensive, any of the Lolo's are good for grilled fish/ribs/chicken and sides. Also for local, Johnny Cakes & salt fish and very inexpensive (Hilma's Windsor Castle- a trailer actually, in Simpson Bay).

Also on the less expensive side: Buccaneer Beach Bar, Taco Macho and Vesna's Taverna.

And a little more upscale is the tapas at Karakters on Simpson Beach. Can be less expensive based on what & how much you order. On Friday night there is jazz and seating is right on the beach. Pretty nice spot with good food.

Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

Nice list Jamie. I am definitely a huge captain D's fan too.

In addition, I liked Lee's for lunch. They had some fairly priced BBQ chicken and Rib platters and they cook them over charcoal....great flavor. (simpson bay right on the water)

I really thought lee's was more fun and the food was equally as good as the LoLos in grand case (and I didn't have to drive all the way there.)

You can sit out of the sun and check out the yachts in the bay. Oh and tons of tarpon live there so you literally feed them french fries...pretty cool to watch them attack a fry lol

Edited: 2:30 pm, June 25, 2014
Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

The water where Lee's is located is called Simpson Lagoon. The Bay is actually outside the bridge in the open water.

Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

Ah I see, thanks for the tip! I cant wait to get back in December.

6. Re: On a Budget but wants to experience the local flavor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin