We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel suggestions

chicago
11 posts
Save Topic
Need hotel suggestions

We will be staying 4 days in SXM. 2 days we will stay at Sonesta Maho and the other 2 we want to stay at either Grand Case or Orient. We want to be right on the beach. We also want something to do at night close by, a restaurant, a bar, entertainment, etc. I realize these 2 places may be lacking the nightlife, but these are the 2 we have narrowed it down to. Being on the beach is key. We might even consider the 'clothing optional' resort at Orient, I have been told it is the only place at Orient right on the beach. Is this true? We would keep our clothes on, would most people there be the same or do most wear nothing at all? Any suggestions are appreciated.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel suggestions

Grand Case Beach Club or Le Petite Hotel or the apartments above La California. All are right on the water. Nothing in Orient is "right on the water" but some have views from the upper floors. Most are just a few steps from the beach.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel suggestions

In Grand Case you will be directly on the beach if you rent an apartment at Pavillon Beach.

La California also has apartments on the beach, but you'll need to walk a few steps on the street to reach the beach.

www.california-st-martin.com, will both show you photos of La California apartments and Pavillon Beach apartments, where you can walk directly on the beach.

Both Grand Case and Orient have night life. The beach is way more beautiful in Orient though: A lot wider than Grand Case, and clean.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel suggestions

I'd recommend the following, all are right on the beach and walking distance to restaurants, bars and what passes for nightlife on the French Side. Be careful of Club Orient as it is getting a bit long in the tooth and most people there are totally nude at beach, the bar, the restaurant, the store, checking in....

Orient Beach Hotels:

Alamanda

L'Hoste

Cap Caribes

Carribean Princess Condos

Grand Case:

Grand Case Beach Club

L'Esplenade

Le Petit Hotel

chicago
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel suggestions

thanks for all the suggestions. we have decided to narrow our choices to Orient Beach. I said we wanted to be 'right on the beach'. What I mean is when we leave our room, we don't want to cross any streets, or walk off the hotel property. If the hotel sits 100 feet back from the water, this is fine. we are just concerned some hotels seem to be away from the water and require maybe a several minute walk to the water. we are having a hard time finding which ones are right next to the water and which ones are set back a good walk from the water. Alamanda, L'Hoste, Cap Caribes and Caribbean Princess Condos were recommended to us. Are they all right next to the water? thanks for the help.

Italy
Level Contributor
100 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel suggestions

I would suggest Grand Case Beach Club as it IS right on the

beach. You only have about 25 steps to make to get to the crystal clear sea water and dive in.

Italy
Level Contributor
100 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel suggestions

I would suggest Grand Case Beach Club as it IS right on the

beach. You only have about 25 steps to make to get to the crystal clear sea water and dive in.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel suggestions

Pavillon Beach is right on the beach too: No street to walk or cross to get to the water.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel suggestions

Alamanda, L'Hoste, Cap Caribes and Caribbean Princess Condos are all directly on Orient Beach. They all sit no more than 100 feet from the water. The only caveat is that a restaurant and a a short walkway may stand between hotel and beach. Still most rooms have ocean views.

check out Orientbeach.com and partyorientbeach.com for a map/layout

9. Re: Need hotel suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:50 pm, July 14, 2006
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need hotel suggestions

P.S. Aside from the beach at Grand Case Beach Club, the "beach" at Grand Case is a bit of a disappointment, consisting of little more than a small strip of sand behind the restaurants of restaurant row. Orient Beach is a much better beach

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin