We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a little worried....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting a little worried....

Hi there,

I have just been reading posts on TTOL and am getting a little nervous!

Apparently there were 3 incidents that happened at Mullet Bay this past weekend that involved people being mugged, etc. in broad daylight.

There is also some discussion about naked men who lurk around some people (specifcally around Happy Bay).

Maybe I am getting too caught up in all of this as there were so many posts all together about people talking about these sorts of things.

I am a pretty common sense type of person and would not leave my purse or anything unattended but are there any real specific things I should do while away in St. Maarten?

Also, I am staying at the Sonesta ....are there safes in every room that really are safe?

Thanks for a response!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a little worried....

i've been to several places and i've felt the most safe in St. Martin. the only thing i would avoid is Pic Paradise and i've heard walking around Maho at nighttime. me and my fiance drove all around the island and drove to isolated beaches and had no problems whatsoever.

you're going to find muggings/robbings anywhere. there's not one place you could go and be 100% safe. just as long as you take precaution and be aware of your surroundings you'll be fine.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a little worried....

The crime posts make everyone a little nervous. But they provide good information for us travelers. We are coming up to out 9th visit to the island I must tell you I have never felt unsafe anywhere on the island. And I was a victim of one of the scooter purse snatchers you hear about a year or so ago. To this day, I don't look over my shoulder and am not afraid.

But we do take precautions, as we would at any vacation destination:

Don't leave anything in your car

Carry only what you will need for the day - cash, CC, camera

Leave everything else in the safe at your resort, including your passports.

Split up the cash between different pockets, different people

Keep a copy of your passport somewhere other than the safe.

Avoid deserted, unlit places in the evening.

Ask a neighbor on the beach to keep an eye on your stuff when you go into the water.

When taking a walk on the beach or heading off to a beach bar/restaurant for an hour or so, take the important stuff with you

If your resort doesn't have a safe, don't stay there (nearly all do)

If you've been reading the crimer report, you are probably reading the trip reports that tell how visitors do not feel unsafe on the island.

Go and have a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a little worried....

I've been reading the same posts. I'm still looking forward to my trip in 15 days and will just cross out Happy Bay from beaches to go to. Mullet wasn't on my list.

I'll just be extra aware this trip. Last year I didn't run into any problems, but I never went to secluded beaches.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a little worried....

I went alone adn for the first time to SXM two years ago. Rented a car at the airport from Best Deal Car Rental as a walk-in. Stayed at the main tower at the Sonesta Maho, walked around Maho walk up until 9-9:30pm (maybe Saturday after the live show at Cherie's Cafe). Met two great ladies from Canada at the hotel and hanged out one night at The Sopranos Piano Bar. Their nephew was getting married. Never left anything visible inside the car. While visiting the beaches I always parked nearby other cars and had my "intuition" ON all the time. If asked I never said I was travelling alone. After this awesome trip I went to to Mont Tremblant. Yes, I'm very versatile!

I'm going back to SXM in 14 days. Listen to what SXMLOVER says, he's very sincere. He doesn't know it but I've been reading all his suggestions. ;)

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a little worried....

Ha! Caught you!

BTW - the name's Elaine LOL (;>)

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a little worried....

SXMLOVER, nice meeting you! Keep your updates!

Rose Marie

Chapel Hill.nc
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a little worried....

Just got back from our first visit to SXM today...so I am of course an expert. Stayed at Grand Case Beach Club. Very confident in its security. The walk to town was ok just like anywhere at night, be alert and pay attention. We are early risers and the only time my wife felt nervous was the walk to Happy Bay. It is MORE than 10 mins and at 7:00 am it is pretty lonely so we just said forget it.. Next time we will go by boatfrom Grand Case!!!

We were at Orient on our last day at 6am anf felt fine.. Le Galion is great There were some folks swimming and working out when we got htere but when they left we were alone for over an hour which was great but maybe not so smart in hindsight.. My theory is that crooks are lazy and are not up early.

Baie Rouge was our favorite beach.. would not go alone if female early but after people show up it is fine.. I never felt unsafe in Saint Martin, I just paid attention! HAVE FUN!!!

pr
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a little worried....

Just returned from St. Maarten actually happy to be home. About the mugging incidents I actually did'nt hear anything, but I must advise all who wish to visit the Island prepare yourself for a dissapointing experience. I stayed at the Sonesta (did not see the safe in my room) in Maho Bay area. It was the only place I must mentions I felt safe and welcome, out of the hotel area it was a completely different feeling. About feeling secure I have to tell you to expect an unfriendly treatment from a lot of the locals, I repeat I did not hear about mugging incidents, but I did see unfair and unnecesary abuse against a tourist. I Went to dinner one of the nights to the french side and a group of locals(MORE THAN ONE) started a fight with one tourist, there where security guards who did nothing and locals just finding the beating to the tourist amousing. There is no protection for visitors.

Detroit
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a little worried....

British Virgin Islands look better with every post I read. Cliif boys have been publicly masturbating at Cupecoy/Bay for years. Seems crime is also "on the rise." lol. Carry me away to Cane Garden Bay.

Boston...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a little worried....

We stayed at the Sonesta in April and they did have a safe in the room. You pay for the key to lock it up when you register when you arrive. We had the best trip and never had one incident happen to us while we were there. We also rented a car, and no one bothered it or us the entire week. At the Sonesta, they have a garage so you can park the car for free entire week. Wonderful trip we must say.

We also did leave our passport in the safe.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin