We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

Simple question to the good people in this forum. I'm a 73 years old US man, in good health, recently widowed.Traveling solo. Photography is my hobby. Is St. Martin/Maarten for me? Never been there before. Planed 14 days, 2/22/14 - 3/8/14 (or so). I would like to have the option to cook for myself, but I like to dine outside as well. I like to see places and stay on the beach.

If yes, where? How?

Thanks,

Avid

Edited: 3:25 am, September 07, 2013
Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

Have a dear friend who has 10 years on you, is a widow, and visits for a month twice a year. Has been coming to the island for 30 + years. If she can do it, so can you! I guess the two biggest questions are do you have any mobility issues (stairs a problem), will you rent a car?

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

Thanks! No mobility issues. Walking is not a problem (lives in manhattan) Likes elevators, but will climb two-three floors. Drives,

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

The the island is your oyster! Look into a condo or timeshare rental so you have a kitchen. If you like to walk to restaurants and activities, try Simpson Bay area. If you want quiet, not much to do, perhaps Orient or Grand Case.

However, I see you are coming at the absolute busiest time of the year. First weekend in March is Heineken Regatta, the island will be packed. Wherever you decide, book it soon!

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

Thanks!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

While there think about a day trip to Anguilla specifically (IMO) Shoal Bay East. It is a beautiful, laid back island and will be a nice addition to your time in St Martin.

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

Thanks.

7. Re: Solo Male, 73, Widower. Is St. Martin/Maarten For Me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin