We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wines and types of wines

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Wines and types of wines

So is there a good selections in the retail stores? What is the best selection: French, American, South American or what? Would you say the french wines are the best price? Should I ship really good wines down ahead of time? NC Wino

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wines and types of wines

Lots of very good wines from many different countries (although French wines are perhaps the most prevalent) available for sale on the island at prices less than you'd probably pay for the same wines back in the US. FYI - shipping wine from the US will cost you more than the wine is worth.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wines and types of wines

do not even consider shipping wine here...waste of time and lots of money

we have good selections of wine on the island.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wines and types of wines

You will pay more for US wines but not so much that it would pay for shipping costs to bring your own. We usually bring a bottle or two of very nice WA State wines with us for special nights to share with close friends. These are wines with very limited distribution and hard to come by.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
60 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wines and types of wines

We went to a wine shop located in the shopping center where "Simply Market" is located up near the roundabout that sends you to the Orient area when coming up the east coast of the island.

The shop had great prices and the manager was superb. He gave us a tasting and some great recommendations. He also gave me a complimentary jar full of some duck stuff. I honestly don't know what it was but I gladly took it but was too afraid to try it!

We got some very good Sauvignon Blanc there

Here is where the shop is located:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wine&ie=UTF8&ll=18.093298,-63.035152&spn=0.010749,0.013518&sll=18.095602,-63.036118&sspn=0.021498,0.027037&near=Rue+Caf%C3%A9,+St+Martin&geocode=CdxKBmh6kaDBFfwgFAEd6Rw-_Ckh3Nqq9G8OjDFcvpn8yspRWA&hq=wine&t=m&fll=18.093298,-63.035152&fspn=0.010749,0.013518&z=16

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wines and types of wines

That would be Bacchus: http://www.bacchussxm.com/

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wines and types of wines

Thanks for everyone comments. Most of our group is in the wine business so we would be shipping wines in that you wouldnt be able to get in the islands. We figure that french wines ie - Sancerre's and Burgundies would be a better price then the US. And we trust there is a great offering of champagnes also.

How about Saouth American wines? Good offering?

Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wines and types of wines

I too am in the wine biz and ship my own wines as checked luggage. Bacchus is a fun stop with a great selection, also check out Select Wine in Cole Bay. Sylvain imports some interesting wines from several regions in France, has a decent selection of vintage wines and you can pick up some good stems to use back at your room. Enjoy!

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
585 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wines and types of wines

I saw lots of people - mostly french - drinking wine that was a light peach color every where we went. I should have asked but forgot. Does anyone know what kind if wine that may have been ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wines and types of wines

sounds like a light rose. we drank them frequently down there.

re wines, I'm not in the wine business, but I guzzle with regularity and found the selections in the grand marches to be excellent. the french wines were less expensive overall it seemed. US wines were pricey, particularly the chardonnays but not outrageously so, imho.

Marigot, Saint...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wines and types of wines

Hi we have about 1800 different labels from all around the world. Pass by at Bacchus in hope estate right across from the French side airport of Grand Case. We will be very happy to assist you. Best regards,

Benjamin.