We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ST. Maarten, AXA or St. John??

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
ST. Maarten, AXA or St. John??

Life is tough...I know....But we don't get away but once a year and would like to plan for the best possible vacation...

Planning a trip to either SXM or STJ with my family (my wife and two boys -11 & 9). Really having a hard time deciding on which island to visit? Been to SXM back in 09' and loved it, but have never been to STJ. Also considering Anguilla, but worried the pace will be too slow for young active boys? My wife and I visited Anguilla and had a great time there too...

Anyone been to both or even all three places who can shed some light?

Thanks so much.

DK

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Mount Holly, North...
Level Contributor
236 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ST. Maarten, AXA or St. John??

We have been to SXM multiple times. We are treated warmly on both sides of the island. We like to stay near the border so we can enjoy both countries. On the French side, the people speak French. We do not speak a word of French, but they always try to speak to us in English. We are guests in their country. We might just have to learn some French...

We have been to several restaurants on multiple occasions and are always welcomed back. The French have different customs that Americans, i.e. they enjoy their meals at a leisurely pace and do not bring check until asked. It is important to understand the culture and customs when you travel.

We have a trip planned in November and it cannot come soon enough. Our two weeks there will go by in a blink of an eye and we will not be ready to leave the beautiful island.

12. Re: ST. Maarten, AXA or St. John??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten