We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelers checks and st. barts

Belvidere, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelers checks and st. barts

Hi,

I was wondering can you use travelers checks in st. maarten? I was thinking of bringing half money and half in travelers checks. Will also have Credit card but heard the stories of people adding things on to them.

Also i was thinking of flying to st. barts instead of a ferry. Is winair the only one to fly there? They have a great deal right now with a free rental car.

thanks for your thoughts

Will be there in 12 days, for 2 weeks of bliss :)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,972 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

From Juliana Winnair is the only airline, unless you are in transit and have no checked in luggage then St. Barths commuter does the route as well.

You can also use the Commuter from Grand case airport....

Comparing the prices, Winair offer is not that exceptional..if I read correctly return fare for 2 people including a day car hire is almost 400 USD....from Grand case with commuter, the fare is 260 euros (for 2 return), and the average day car hire is circa 45 euros (Avis or similar based at the airport)

I've not used travellers cheques for years, they are considered obsolete by most Europeans, but I expect you can use them..but why not use ATMs?

Media, Pa
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

You can fly Winair out of Juliana but SB Commuter only out of Grand Case. Travelers Checks are not advised since first you are paying a fee for them and you would be at the whim of the merchant for the conversion rate. The best way is to use the ATMs for cash and credit card for payments.

Belvidere, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

thanks all for your information, I appreciate it!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,972 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

Enjoy St. Barths, we are going again this July...after a couple of days at Grand Case.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

I just spent 2wks there and cash was all i used.

I also flew WinAir to St Barths for a day and it was the easiest, fastest flight i've ever taken. If you fly with them, sit in the first seat right behind the cockpit! best for watching yourself land on St Barths :P

Belvidere, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

Thanks Adam just booked the flight to st.barts. Will defiantly choose the front seats here it is an exciting flight!!

7. Re: travelers checks and st. barts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 06, 2014