We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay????

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay????

French or dutch? Seems like French side has nicer places

Which area? Heard orient is where the action is but is it like ridiculously packed with nude people?

Looked into simpson bay after reading reviews that there is alot to do but didnt seem like any nice hotels.

We are going on our honeymoon and plan to stay 3 nights in St martin before heading to Anguilla for the week. We are 30 and 31 and love beautiful beaches, good food and cold drink. We arent late night people so rather be close to beach bars for the day and we usually eat have some drinks and goto bed by 10. Only thing I think is that I hear Anguilla there is absolutly nothing to do at night maybe we would want to have a lil might life in St martin.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Le Petit Hotel
Le Petit Hotel
#1 of 8 hotels in Grand Case
Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond
Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond
#1 of 8 hotels in Oyster Pond
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
#2 of 8 hotels in Grand Case
Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay????

Just returned from a week in St Martin - fine dining and great beach is more important to us than nightlife. We chose Esmeralda Resort and couldn't have been happier. Very quiet accommodations and on a quieter section of Orient Beach. Fine dining on property and also within walking distance. Clean, recently renovated property -we would return.

Anguilla is very beautiful - we took a day trip on a catamaran, you will be pleased - we visited Rendezvous Bay it was breathtaking!

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Esmeralda Resort
Esmeralda Resort
432 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay????

If you want night life I would stay on the Dutch side, if you want quiet in the evening, more upscale dinning as well as beautiful beaches~ the French side. Although you say you only have 3 days while in St Maarten, I would rent a car. Orient Beach would be fun for a day~ Is it packed w/nude people?.....only if you are on the Club O side of that beach, then yes. The opposite side ~ many great beach bars, water sports,chairs/umbrellas. My personal preference would be to stay on the dutch side, play on the french side during the day. Check out HomeAway.com for rental property by owner.

Mentioned in this post
Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay????

Ok. The beach bars and stuff seem really fun along with the water sports. Don't mind topless or a few nude just didn't wanna be in a beach with that being the majority. We will check out that area. How is grand case area? Looked at a few hotels there as well. Didn't see too many nice hotels on Dutch side. We prefer smaller hotels or atleast spread out opposed to high-rises.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay????

Le Petit Hotel. Perfect for a few days and especially your honeymoon. Has great reviews, never heard anything negative about it! Walk to most of the restaurants along Grand Case. Drive to the Dutch side when yuou need a little excitement although I do not think you will. LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Le Petit Hotel
Le Petit Hotel
588 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,378 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay????

Agree LB, Le Petit is great

Mentioned in this post
Le Petit Hotel
Le Petit Hotel
588 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay????

Sounds good. How is it if you only speak English of the French side?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,378 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay????

They all speak English to a good degree and the owner/manager of Le Petit is fluent!

Mentioned in this post
Le Petit Hotel
Le Petit Hotel
588 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay????

This is great info! We are looking for a place to stay 3 nights pre-cruise January 1-4 2014. We were considering the Radisson and also a property on Orient Beach-The Esmerelda. We stayed on St. Maarten many years ago for our honeymoon at the old Mullet and a few years ago, visited Orient Beach for the day off of a cruise ship. Can anyone give a sense of the "flavor and quality of Grand Case vs. Orient Beach?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay????

Grand Case is a village with a small beach attached.

Orient Beach is a beach with a small village attached.

Is that what you meant by flavor & quality?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay????

Not really. Guess I was trying to get a sense of how nice the beach was at Grand Case compared to Orient Bay which we thought was quite lovely. I believe we spent the day at one of the beaches in the middle. The Esmeralda had a great deal on Booking.com so I actually just booked it but it can be cancelled.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Orient Bay
Orient Bay
St Martin / St Maarten