We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

Philadelphia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

What do people suggest for money in St. Maarten. We are going there for our honeymoon the first week of June. I was going to go get teh travelers checks for the trip today, but want to know if I should exchange money before we go (what do they use there?) or what people suggest for exchange rates, etc. (BTW, we are going to Anguilla as well and were told they take US dollars or exchange one-to-one so it doesn't matter there).

thanks

Mentioned in this post
St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

The official currency of St. Maarten is the Antillean (not the Dutch) guilder, which is pegged to the U.S. dollare at 1.79. In practice, the dollar is used predominently and a visitor is unlikey to ever see a guilder. The currency of St. Martin is the euro, the same as in Europe, but again dollars are accepted everywhere, although euros are much more common then guilders. The value of the euro varies (currently worth more than the dollar), and while some establishments will give 1:1 echange, others will not.

Major banks include ScotiaBank, RBTT (Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago), and Winward Island Bank. ScotiaBank is affiliated with Bank of America and BOA customers are not charged a fee to use the ATM.

Bottom line is that the US Dollar can be used anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Philadelphia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

so will i be losing money if I just stick with dollars?

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

On the Dutch side all prices will be in US Dollars. Completely ignore the Guilder. Chances are you will never see a Guilder.

On the French side everyone will take dollars because they want American business. Prices may be in Euros or Dollars depending on the store. The current exchange rate is about $1.10 = 1 Euro, so if a T shirt cost 10 Euros you would give them $11. Some places give 1 Euro = 1 Dollar meaning you would pay onlt $10 for the same T shirt. You won't lose money by paying in Dollars.

Hope this clarifies things

4. Re: Dollar exchange in St. Maarten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 12, 2009