We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Virginia
Level Contributor
536 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Hi all, 25 years ago I was on the french side of St. Martin with my daughter and husband. Memories abound. I know it has changed; but I am on a cruise ship in April and decided to go back to the harbor at Marigot on my own to see the changes. It was just getting up and running with shops, cafes, etc and we had a blast.

So...I am thinking of taking a taxi first thing off the ship and going to Marigot (do not want any fixed tours) After spending a few hours shopping, stopping at cafes, etc., I'd like the afternoon at a beach before returning to the ship. I am purposefully not going to one near the ship to avoid the " frenzy".

What would be the best options via taxi...to go from Marigot to a beach (with a beachy cafe, and some shade available - chair, umbrella, etc.) that I'd be comfortable alone.... And then back to the ship.

I've looked at maps on line but it is difficult to imagine the distances...so I hope someone familiar with that will chime in!

Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Friar's Bay beach might be the one, near to Marigot, they have two beach bars/restaurants...

In Marigot many cafes along the waterfront and in the Marina Port La Royale - we always like to visit La Croissanterie in the marina p- grwet breakfast 7 lunch spot

------------------------------

www.best-stmartin.com/detail.asp…

------------------------------

http://www.friarsbaybeachcafe.com/

Virginia
Level Contributor
536 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Great, thank you so much for a good start...I can't wait to see what has happened since our bareboat sailing back in late 80's....not that I am giving my age way :)

This has been a long time coming, and ready to go back! I know it is totally different but will enjoy seeing the island.

Tx!

G.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Is there a bus that goes to Friar's Bay Beach from Marigot? If so, where to catch it & how much time to get there? And if not, approx. how much for a cab from Marigot, and would we need to arrange for a cab to take us back to Marigot? We will be stopping just for a day off a cruise and are thinking to take the local bus from the port to Marigot for a bit, to a less busy beach, then back to the port. Hoping this would be feasible for the 9-5 timeframe.

Thank you for any help!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

Cab fare is about US12-15 - you will need to arrange for a return trip from Frair's bay -not sure about bus service in that area, but normally the bus will run along the main road and not to the beach and it is a long walk from the main road to Friar's beach.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147348-d3…

---------------------------------

When you're in Marigot.....

6. Re: Logistics question ~ Port to Marigot to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014