We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for work

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for work

Hello! Can anyone point in the direction of some work? I'm looking to live in St-Martin for a few years. I am an American, fluent in French, have a Bachelor's, and have extensive serving experience.

I'd love any help you can give!

Thanks,

Liz

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for work

I see from your screen profile that you live in Ohio - I assume that means you are a US Citizen. If so you should know that you can't just show up one day and expect to live/work on St. Martin (or most other Caribbean islands, for that matter). There are Immigration and Work Laws for St. Martin, just like you have back in the US.

If you are not a citizen of an European Union country you may not work on the French side or if you are not a Dutch Citizen you may not work on the Dutch side without getting a Work Permit. These are often difficult to get. You have to have a "unique skill" and your potential employer must prove to the local Labor Department that there are no "locals" or French/Dutch citizens qualified to fill the position.

The permitting process can take anywhere from 3 to 9 months and assuming you can find an employer willing to sponsor you and you have such "unique skill" there is never any guarantee the Work Permit will be approved. Also, you may not reside on island while your Permit is being processed. If it is approved you'll have to pay the required fee and realize that the permit is good only for that job and only for a period of one year. There are no guarantees it will be renewed when it expires.

Now for the reality of things: 1) It is VERY DOUBTFUL being server will qualify you as having a unique skill, 2) There are plenty of unemployed locals who are qualified servers on the island who will gladly fill any current vacancies, 3) it is extremely difficult to find a position unless you are already living on the island and that requires that you apply for residency (without residency you cannot remain on island for more than 6 months during any calendar year - FYI getting residency is a whole other process).

As a US citizen you'll find it infinitely easier to relocate and work on Puerto Rico, Culebra, Vieques or any of the US Virgin Islands as you already have residency and work status. For you, relocating and working on any of those islands is no different than moving from Columbus to Cleveland.

2. Re: Looking for work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 24, 2014