We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

I am wondering whether anyone has rented a car from them and if you had a great experience? Thanks!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

My wife and I rented from them on 2 separate occasions while on our honeymoon the first week of January. We rented from there location 5 mins NE of Philipsburg on Sucker Garden Rd I believe it was, and they were professional and accommodating. Each time we rented they came and picked us up at the hotel and brought us to their agency to fill out the paperwork and such. The owner, Dave York, who we dealt with each time was nice and professional. No hidden charges, he explained it at. Note there is a 15% service charge in St Maarten which I believe is govt related, not the business. Rates were reasonable; the first time we rented a small Hyundai for $40/day base rate, plus the service charge and tax. Insurance is optional and pretty affordable. Driving in St Maarten is wild so unless your credit card covers you I'd suggest the insurance. After the first rental, I had no problem going back again, that time for a Jeep Wrangler.

Edited: 9:28 pm, February 09, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

We just rented a car for a day from Coastal Car Rental during a stop on our cruise (May 2013). They were excellent. It was a rainy day and we didn't have an umbrella so they loaned us one for the day. All business was conducted honestly (no trying to say you put dings in the car that were already there like I have heard is a problem with other rental car companies on St Maarten). There wasn't even pressure for tips like is so common. If we are in St. Maarten in the future will definitely use Coastal Car Rental again!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

NEVER rent from this company. They gave us a GPS that did not work and refused to refund us our $140 after we drove lost for 2 hours and returned the car. Horrible customer service and the workers lie about their titles (the owner lied to us and said that he was told by his boss that he could not do anything & after researching company on line, he was the boss). Very frustrating.

4. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 pm, November 30, 2013
Los Angeles...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

I would never rent from this company and be careful of others as well, they banged me out of 500.00 after I left the island and another car rentals banged me out for 800.00 this island is known for scammers.

curacao
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

ekuhta.. no one wanted to tell you our title because you were looking for a problem and didnt want to pay for the car. You verbally threatened the staff, myself and others stating your actions about posting bad reviews if you were not fully refunded! The sad thing is the fact that I refunded you about $50 and you still complained because you knew that you never intended to pay. You tried to find excuses about the jeep but couldn't because it was brand new and clean, service was great (which you complimented) until you didn't get the car for free. You then "Transformed" and used a GPS as your reason for a full refund after visiting a beach and touring the island . You are a woman of your word. Again I will tell you what was told to you on the day of your rental. We are sincerely sorry if the GPS did not work for you or the fact that you could not navigate the island maps which was given and explained to you, and that you got lost on our island with one road, We are sorry if you believe its our fault that you got lost or had a change of mind.

Malden...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

I had a neutral experience with this company. The jeep was in decent shape, lots of dents and dings but this really isn't a problem, it ran and drove just fine. The staff was nice enough and showed us various points of interest and ways to spend our time on the island then whisked us a short drive away from the cruise port to the location where the vehicles were stored.

Now for the bad. The cost of the rental was quite high, nearly $200 after insurance but this is something I knew well in advance of even coming to the island so this was a decision I made. The gas station they recommended I stop at on the way back to fill up stiffed me out of $20 worth of gas (clearly visible on the gas pump meter), when I asked the attended about how much gas he actually put in the Jeep he told me several times he put the full amount into the tank and quickly got confrontational and refused to look me in the eye so I let him scam me out of my $20 and went on my way. When I returned the Jeep another patron was also dropping off a small car, the Coastal attended claimed the gentlemen put a dent in the car during his stay and the two quickly got into a verbal argument which completely soured the experience. The attended eventually drove us back to the port but was clearly angry about the whole situation and drove like an animal making us uncomfortable. He continued to lay into the other patron and eventually finished our paperwork and sent us on our way.

So, while nothing Coastal did directly affected our stay they certainly didn't make our stay on the island that pleasant. I'd recommend the multitude of other rental companies right at the cruise port.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

We just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise to St. Martin with a family of 11. Some wanted to drive from the port to Anse Marcel where I have a time share and then stop at Marigot to shop and for lunch. We debated a taxi or car rental, so as soon as we arrived I went off ship and explored both options. For 4 of to drive to Anse Marcel and back to Marigot would have been $25 per person for a taxi, plus another $9 pp back to the port. The car rental from Reynolds Car Rental was a total, taxes,etc. (no extra insurance) of $73 for the day. We rented a Toyota Corolla by turning right after we got off the pier and followed signs to car rental. We were driven in a van a few minutes away to pick up the car and were to return it to the port at the Reynold's office. I did take pictures of a fender dent before we drove the car, but there was no hassle at all. The men in the office and the driver of the van were very informative and easy to work with. I will definitely rent from this company again.

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

We have rented from Coastal twice. Once for one day off of a cruise and once for a 2 week stay on the island. Both times the service was great and the entire experience was hastle free.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
54 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coastal car rental/St Martin car rental from cruiseship term

I am a travel agent so I am in St. Maarten at least twice a year. I have rented from Coastal many times and always received good service. They remember my name each time and are very friendly.

Linda Johnson

Card Player Cruises