We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch the DUI traps on French side!

Boston, Mass
4 posts
Save Topic
Watch the DUI traps on French side!

Just a note to all about drinking and driving on St. Martin: My wife and I just got back from a wonderul week at the Esmeralda Resort on Orient Beach-French side. On our last night there, we had dinner in Grand Case (just like every night) The drive back to our hotel from Grand Case is only a couple of miles away. As we approached the entrance to the Orient Beach complex where our hotel was located, we were pulled over by 2 cops with flashlights. The french cops were pretty "abrupt" with us and forced me to blow into some type of "Breathalyzer Bag" without even asking questions.

Lucky for me, I only had 1 glass of wine with dinner and I passed the test.........Although my heart was beating a mile a minute......and it still is 2 weeks later!!!!

Obviously, you shouldn't drink and drive at all. But we all know that a lot of people on vacation do it. Just be careful! Take a cab or plan for a designated driver.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch the DUI traps on French side!

Thank you, this is a very good point.

The Gendarme (French police) do not mess around. Do not drink and drive, or use a cell phone while driving on the French side. Also remember to buckle your seatbelt.

I was going fishing from the Marigot Marina a few weeks ago around 5AM and got stopped at a check point. I didn't have problems because I wasn't drinking but they were very serious.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin