We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in June/July

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
weather in June/July

What is the weather like in June/July? Also, how safe is the island? I was looking at St. Maarten earlier but was leary of someone writing a post here. I notice that no one is complaining about it. We're considering the Sonesta Maho.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in June/July

The weather in SXM doesn't vary too much month to month. Summer months will be warmer than winter by maybe 10 degrees. The weather will be fantastic. The best thing about the summer months is that the crowds are gone and the prices for everything drops.

The island is as safe as anywhere. Take normal precautions, don't leave anything in your car and you will be fine.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in June/July

sxmlover,

Thanks for the quick response. Are things closed down more in the off season, such as restaurants at Sonesta and other places?

Also, do the cruise ship tourism lessen during the summer as well? I understand shopping can be a mess with all the cruise ship people and I am sure there are some days the ships do not dock.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in June/July

sxmlover,

Forgot to ask. How likely is St. Maarten to get hit with hurricanes and usually what time of the year is the worst for that?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in June/July

We go in February, May (this week!) and August. In August, we have not found anything closed. Some places (on the French side mostly) do close in September since it is the slowest time of the year to give their employees a holiday and do their annual spruce up.

It's the tropics, so technically June thru November 1st is hurricane season. But I think the biggest chance would be September. As it would be anywhere - even Florida.

If you are concerned, be sure to buy trip insurance.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in June/July

sxm

Thanks. Would you happen to know when the last hurricane hit St. Maarten? I always buy insurance. It's the only way to go.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in June/July

They got hit pretty hard in '95 with Luis. There is still some leftover damage evident - especially in the Mullet area.

There was another less damaging one in I think '99. SInce then, nothing major.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in June/July

Thanks sxm

washington, dc
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in June/July

Hi SXM,

Trip planned for August 06 staying at The Towers at Mullet Bay. First time

visitor to your area. What are the major tours, restaurants, and sights? any websites would be appreciated explaining the Dutch and French difference.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in June/July

get_away_from_it_all - I always go for the last week of July and love it. This will be my 5th trip in July. I stay on the French side and travel to the Dutch. I've found that July isn't crowded, which is why I like it so much and you can get great air/hotel deals - they start coming out right about now.

I have always felt safe on the island and have never run into any problems.

Wendi

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in June/July

hrhweezie,

Who do you book your trips with? I know costs go down considerably during the off season.

Do you find that most things are still open. I know on some islands some things close down during off season.