We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Since my ship along with 3 other cruise ships will be in St. Martin in the day I am there Orient Beach is out because of the crowds. I prefer a swimming beach that is quieter than Orient, but has beach chairs & umbrellas to rent. Don't need much more, it is just my husband & I and we like to relax on the beach for hours reading and taking a swim throughout the day...would love some palm trees too!

What are the best 2 choices:

Anse Marcel

Pinel Island

Baie Rouge (Red Bay)

Mullet Bay Beach

Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
122 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Using your list I would say Pinel and Mullet but do not exlude Simpson Bay at Karakter. Since there is limited parking the beach is usually quiet but since you are on a cruise ship you can have a taxi drop you off and pick you up.

12. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:18 pm, April 23, 2015
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

I love Orient but I would never call it "quiet"....yes, not noisy, but quiet to me also means few people around me....and as the OP originally said 3 cruise ships in that day....lots of fanny-packed black knee-socked wanderers around ;)

Still....a great beach...... Depends what your goals are

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Actually I just found out there will be 4 ships in total when we stop at St. Martin...yikes!!! I am seriously considering a day trip to Anguilla, but have not given up totally on St. Martin. I have narrowed down my choices for a non crowed relaxing beach to Mullet, Baie Rouge & Pinel. I have not gotten much feedback on Anse Marcel so I guess I should scratch that off my list. I will let you all know what happens in my trip report when I get back. We leave in 15 days!!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,580 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

http://portofstmaarten.com/

-----------------------------------

You will find ship arrivals above.

A day trip to Anguilla will seem like another very busy travel day - it's not recommended if you are leaving port that same evening - just too many "ifs"-

---------------------------------

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Crowds should not be an issue at most of the beaches. At least not the kind of beach crowds we get in the Northeast !!!

Mode of transportation is an important factor. If you are renting a car your options are better but plan well so you don't spend half the day in a hot vehicle.Some parts of the island have a lot of traffic.

If you are taking taxi's you may want to rule out Friars unless you make arrangements to be picked up. (We love Friars by the way.) Pinel is at the far end of the island from the docks, requires a ferry ride which may involve a wait. It's relatively small beach can be crowded and unless you want to explore the island or go snorkeling, is nothing special.

If it were me......I would rent a car. Go to Friars then Mullett (or Cupecoy if you want to see something different) and stop at Maho for a cold drink (and the planes) on the way back.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

There are 36 different types of beaches on this island. We found the most gorgeous beach down a desolate road. Galleon Beach. Some are rocky, some have big expanses of sand, some secluded, some open, some with umbrellas and chairs. Definitely enjoy for everyone!

Cannes, France
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Definitely go to the club O section of orient beach. Affordable chairs, quiet waters and the nicest beach on the island. You indeed don't have to go nude but most likely once you are there, you will want to. This will give you one of the most memorable experiences of your trip.

Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

My two best choices from your list are Pinel (the best of the island IMHO) and Mullet. Clever idea not to visit Orient. The only con about Pinel is the time: far from Phillisburg and have to take a boat. Anse Marcel is far too.

You can go Pinel for a day, but maybe it will be a little stretch go to another beach the same day.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

We will be in St. Maarten in late January (on a cruise) and are also considering Friar's Bay for a beach day. I have a few questions:

How much should we expect to pay for a taxi from the port, and can you arrange for the same driver to pick you up later in the day.

How long does it take to get to the beach?

Can rent a beach umbrella and bed on the beach?

Always wanted to visit St. Maarten, and excited already.