We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping getting expensive?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
shopping getting expensive?

I am looking for a 5-6 day island getaway for the first week of Jan or or March. Friends have recently returned from a cruise and this was their 5th time in 12 years to St.Maarten. The last time was 3 years ago and she said the shopping (jewellery) and dining has gotten extremely expensive and the deals they used to get on loose stones and jewellry in general just were non existant. Any jewellery shopping experiences?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping getting expensive?

Personally, have not seen this.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping getting expensive?

From what I hear from my friends who work in the jewelry stores this has not been a great season. There is lots of competition and people don't have as much to spend so I don't think prices are increasing.

Dining is just a matter of finding the right place for your budget. If you search the posts there are lots of great ideas for budget dining.

Also, the first week of Jan can be a great time to go because there can be a slow period right after Christmas / New Year and airlines tend to have specials.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping getting expensive?

Regarding shopping in St.Maarten. Personally I think with the increase in the No. of stores and the competition, the consumer gets a MUCH BETTER DEAL!

Prices for jewelry have gone up beacuse of the cost of gold. From about $350 an ounce a few years ago to over $600 today, naturally the prices will go up not only back home in the states, but all over the world.

But the price differnce between St.Maarten and the states is still huge.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping getting expensive?

kris183 - Canada is already more expensive than the US, so you are saying the prices are even less than the US? Maybe my friend was used to getting a GREAT deal. She was able to buy semi precious and precious stones for $10- $50 per carat and purchased some very large stones.