We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders!

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spiders!

We have been in sxm for the past 2 weeks, the longest we have ever visited, and this is the first time I have ever crossed paths with so many spiders! They were all terribly large and scary. Has anyone else had a run in with them? We are leaving tomorrow but I'm not sure how I will enter and leave our rental after being ambushed by two of them last night. My husband swears that we just saw the same one twice. This is not comforting because I can't rationalize how it got from the door of our condo to the table in a few seconds. My husband suggested it jumped, which freaked me out even more. I googled them and they may be sparassids, maybe Huntsmen spiders. They are yellowish-orange, freakin huge (as big as my hand), and like to hang out walls and surprise unsuspecting tourists. Any insight or information will help me come to terms with this experience and return again to my favorite island. Did I mention I am terrified of spiders? Terrified!

new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Spiders!

OMG! Spiders. Seriously? Get some BayGone and spray the room.....Voila!! gone!! They were there before you invaded their home so if you don't like them spray them away and get on with your vacation. Feel better? Good!

Cheers!!

Contessa

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Spiders!

Yes, SERIOUSLY! I'm well aware that you can buy bug spray for the home! Some people," me" have phobias about certain bugs; so there is no need to be sarcastic.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Spiders!

Thered, I too am extreemly scared of spiders large or small. Have been going to SXM since 1999 and have only seen a small one that my wife killed for me. I never have given much thought to spiders in SXM and go there regularly. Most of the better resorts like the Flamingo where I own have a schedualed spray program to keep any bugs down.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Spiders!

Thank you Scubaman! I'm not afraid of anything that is small. We have Black Widows no big deal. We have Taranchulas here in Arizona & I have never seen one since I've lived here 30+ years. Hopefully, it will be the same in SXM. I am scared of those Palmatto bugs too and we have them here! I remember the first year I moved here from NYC and had heard about those roaches I freaked out. A man said to me, "how can you be scared of roaches, when you have RATS in NYC!" LOL! Yeah, they do too, but have never seen.

Thank you sir!

1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Spiders!

That is an absolutely ridiculous post! In 18 years you have not seen one single spider? Whatever! I just returned from another trip to St. Marteen - put food away and up high, bring bug spray. Small spiders/mites are...plentiful.

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Spiders!

Take a look at the link below

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

This is a typical spider in the carribean and Florida. I have faceplanted over 20 while ridding bicycles in forested areas with no bites yet.

They are big and scarry.

Welland, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Spiders!

I hear ya about big spiders but they're all over the place. I volunteered for the Cleveland Indians in Winterhaven, Fl in 2003 and my job was to put out the field chairs for each game. I pulled the tarp one day, moved a chair and....whoa, there was a beast that covered about 2/3 of the back of that chair. I put a boot to him and he took off like a robot. Never seen anything move that quick. The thing is, he ran away from me, not at me. Even if you are 4'8 and weigh 95lbs, they don't want to do battle. I get the phobias and I feel for those that have them. I'm heading to SXM in a few months and hope I get to see a few of these big guys. Lol.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Spiders!

We are back from SXM now and fortunately we did not see BUG 1 or any spiders as well. I'm wondering if it was the time of year (November) as opposed to summer?

Marino, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Spiders!

Ohhh wow! I will go next month in SXM :D and i love Spiders! I hope this time to meet them everywhere! :D

Well, i am a photographer!

lesfruitsdemer.org/guides/…

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Spiders!

Well, I never did see one while I was there, Thank goodness!

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin