We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

I have a Verizon cell phone, and I heard someone say you could dial 001, then the US phone#. Anyone know the cost/min? Cost to rent cell phone on St Maarten better? Where?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

I just came back. My friend had a Verizon phone and it was 1.50/ minute. Not sure about renting. If you can, leave your phone at home and relax.

PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

You may want to check directly with VZW they added St. Martin to their international roaming list this week. I was there a few years ago and used my VZW phone with no problems. If your phone is all digital you may have trouble using it, i'm willing to bet a tri-mode phone will work. You may call *611 from your phone and I'm sure a CS Rep can help you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

I read this post then called Verizon. Yes, you can use your cell phone on St. Martin to call inside the island or to anywhere else. I called *611 on my cell, pressed 4 a couple of times and got a CS rep. He added the international dialing feature. I just received a letter confirming, then got on Verizon's website to see the rates, how to dial, etc. I don't know the difference between a digital and tri-mode phone, but the CS guy didn't tell me I'd have a problem when he added the feature. Calling from St. Martin to US is: 001, then the usual 10 digit number. You can call island numbers too by dialing the seven digit number. I guess I'll find out if it works when we get there next week!

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

I checked with Verizon also after I saw this post. The cost per minute wasn't too bad (I threw it away already so I can't say what it was exactly), but you also get charged a $3-5 international flat fee for each call placed. They also didn't show coverage for St. Martin only St. Maarten. I'm not sure if this means that there is only coverage for the dutch side, or if they just don't show a distinction. It seemed to me to be cheaper to rent a cell phone on the island. I got one from www.queenofsxm.com and it only cost $30 per week and includes $15 for calls. The per minute charge is very reasonable and there is coverage over the entire island. She sends you your phone number in advance also so that you can give it to family or whomever. Check out the site for all the details. We're going in 9 days, so I'll see how it works out soon. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Boston...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

I too signed up with Verizon to use my cell phone when we get there end of this week. I didn't realize you have dial 001 first. Glad I saw the write up above. Thanks. Can't wait to leave.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

Last year, we didn't use cell phones and i only had to call the states a couple of times. That was expensive even when I kept the calls short. Usually my resort placed local calls for me like for restaurants, car rental, and they didn't charge. i figure I'll have the cell with me anyway so why not use it on rare occasions? Thnks both of you for the info on queenofsxm and the flat fees. (Maybe if I see people with cell phones next week it will be you!)

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

Sharon at the Royal Palm rents phones-have used her previously. The cost is about $0.35/min. to the US. No daily charges and incoming calls are free. Her phone worked everywhere we went. I think the first week is $30.00, but the phone comes pre-loaded with a $15.00 phone card

Mentioned in this post
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
963 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Cell Phones on St Maarten?

OOPS-i see that ITJD was way ahead of me in a previous post. Well, that confirms my memory is still somewhat functional.