We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand case vs Orient beach

ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand case vs Orient beach

I am confused...what are the pros and cons

of staying at Grand Case and Orient Beach ?

We will be going in May. We may or may not rent a car.

Grand Case (maybe Grand Case Beach Club)

Orient Beach ( maybe Hotel La Plantation or Almanda or Esmeralda)

Thanks.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

Depends on what you want.

Lots of beach action with many great beach bar restaurants to choose from and lots of people (not so many in May), excellent beach and water - Orient.

Quiet, a couple of beachy type restaurants, (Most restaurants here are high end) beach itself not the nicest - Grand Case

Belleville, On.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

We stayed at Orient Beach and had a car to visit other areas. We ate 3-4 times in Grand Case.

I think this is the best way to go. Orient beach is a "happening place" with lots to do and see. Still good food (Astrolab, Plantation etc.)

Grand Case has the best food, but not much else. The beach is not as good. (Go to Grand Case Tuesday night, when the street vendors are there and the bands are playing)

I would look at Esmeralda because it is so nice to walk to the beach without having to cross the road.

HTH

Andrew

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

I like staying over at Grand Case, but renting a car and visiting the various beaches. The beach at GCBC is alright, but not very big or exciting, but the hotel is good with very friendly staff. Plus you are within walking distance to some of the best dinners.

Whatever you decide - keep in mind that taxis can be more expensive than renting a car.

ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

I think we are leaning to stay at Grand Case because it will be more quiet. I don't know I am confused.

I know one of the days we would like to go Anguilla. I think we will rent a car for a couple of days to explore other areas.

What does "happening" mean on Orient Beach ? like being on Ft Lauderdale beach during Spring Break ?

Thanks for your replies.

Troy NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

"Happening" on Orient means lots of day visitors from cruise ships, with water sports and beach bars/restaurants to keep them occupied and in places wall-to-wall rows of beach chairs. The beach pretty much shuts down at night. Grand Case Beach Club is more tranquil and the beaches (it has two), especially Petit Plage, are not bad. But if you have a car, it doesn't make much difference which one you stay at because they are just minutes apart. One of the plusses about St. Martin is the ease with which you can go to different beaches, most of which have facilities, and choose which you like best. A car is highly recommended.

Hammond, ORegon
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

Just my opinion but I would stay in Grand Case and do a day trip to Orient Beach instead of the other way around. I wanted to feel like I was in a foreign country and not in Cancun. Grand Case has tiny little streets and it is actually in a real neighborhood. It feels like France. Lots of awesome restaurants and shops and a great grocery store. Getting to Marigot is a cinch and the beach in front of our place was fine for swimming. Tuesday nights they close the main drag (a one lane street) to traffic and you could walk out of your hotel and have a ball. The streets are lit like xmas and it's just darling. Orient beach is more generic. Have fun.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

The Tuesday night Grand Case Harmony Night street party ends at the end of this month. It only runs a few months a year.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

One advantage of sun bathing at the beaches on the south and west side of the island (Maho, Cupecoy, Friar Bay, Marigot, Grand Case), is that during peak sun you can lay facing the ocean. As we all know the sun rises in East and sets in the West. Where on Orient beach Dawn Beach, you need to turn your chair inland to get the best sun during the middle of the day. Just a tip for all the die hard sun bathers looking for a tan over just relaxing.

New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand case vs Orient beach

RENT A CAR....

No way would I want to spend my whole vacation in just Grand Case or Orient...

To me this is the Island of Discover...

The smaller beaches like Friars is where I like it better... Orient is like the busy popular beach with all the cruise people... The other beaches are more secluded and peaceful... You should do both...

The Beach at Grand Case isn't so great but, they are liek 2 minute apart...

I'd stay at Orient as close to the beach -

I'd not crazy touristy busy at night anyway,

hopefully as "walking distance: close as I could...