We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars?

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Rental Cars?

I will be in St. Martin for a week at the end of March with six friends. Our travel agent has strongly recommended renting a car and has two on hold for us. Some in the group are worried about driving and safety, others are worried about lack of mobility. We will be staying somewhere by Cul de Sac. I personally don't want to be stuck in one place for a week. Suggestions? Also, what would the average cab fare be from the airport on the Dutch side over to to the Cul de Sac are? THANKS!!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars?

I would definitely rent a car or two. You are staying in an area that's sort of out of the way. Nice and quiet, but not close to anything. Cab's will get expensive for a group of your size, especially at night.

Driving is safe, although it can be a little hectic. Just watch for drivers stopping to say hi to friends, etc. There are only two traffic lights on the whole island. Depending on where you are traveling to, pay attention to bridge opening times. Trafic in Marigot at Simpson Bay weill be busy this time of year.

I think cab fare from the airport would be about $25 or more for two... depending on amount of luggage.

On the safety note, do not leave anything in your car. That's the only safety issue to be concerned about.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars?

Yes rent a car 46US from UCar cheaper by the week.

And do watch for the cars in front of you they have a notion to stop in the middle of the road to talk with friends. As far as traffic goes it like driving down town.

If you decide to take a cab always make a deal with them before getting in the cab it could cost you a great deal of money. For example our hotel was 3 miles from Margot for 2 people it could cost you 20 to 25 US one way.

All beaches has lots of parking, and close to the beach.

Hope this helps

Marshall, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars?

Ucar... what is its website?

~JS

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars?

I am not sure, this was the name of the car rental in the hotel lobby Ucar rentals, Sarl Ideal Rental 309 les Marines de SXM tel: 0590 97 09 93.

I looked on my receipt and is doesn't appear to have an email address. Sorry I just know that it is 35US plus 9US for insurance.

I hope by giving you the phone number it might help.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin