We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Bay Beach Hotel

canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Great Bay Beach Hotel

Help...I am looking for a vacation in 2 weeks and the travel agents recommended the great bay beach club. She says that it has a lot of return customers but I see from the reviews that it is badly reviewed. Anyone been recently. Oh yeah, I see alot about starving dogs on the beach, does that happen? We go today to book, any help would be appreciated.

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Tha dogs are NOT starving!!!!

My wife and I have been there 6 times...they are just finishing renos' ...$10 million worth!!

The Great Bay if a nice place(not 5 star) but the most economical way to get to St Maarten.

By staying there we can go for dinner at any of the amazing eateries on the island...or just stay at the hotel.

A holiday is what you make it...I see that you are in our neck of the woods...just look outside...today it is sunny and 85 in St Maarten!!!

Back to the dogs: They are cute..they won't bother you...sometimes they will sleep under your beach chair..to get away from the sun..if you want them to get away from you..just throw some sand(not at them just close)..and they will go about thier business(you mind yours..they mind theirs)

TGB is close to the town of Phillipsburg...(walking..staggering)..some of the best deals we ever got on jewelery(everything appraised..did real well!!)Try Ballerina Jewelers..beside the court house...ask for Kenny. Try pizza at Paganos(on the beach) and get a t-shirt from Uncletrouble t-shirts.(owned and operated by a fellow Ontarian)

We like to take cabs everywhere(why stop the buzz!!) They(the drivers) know the NARROW roads..and with what it costs to rent a car..you can take a lot of hacks..and help support the islanders..not the big rental cos.

Don't be shy ...go everywhere..it is only 37 square miles!!!

On you way home...check your bags at the airport..and take a cab to the Sunset Beach Bar(bring your camera so you can get some neat pictures..you will see what I mean)..when you see your plane landing..finish your drink and head to the departure lounge ....and start dreaming of your return trip!!!!

Let me know how you made out...Pam and I will be there March 8th...time # 7!!!

Dan & Pam

Mississauga

Toronto
Level Contributor
587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

I loved it there. The bad reviews must have been written by people who are generally miserable. The food was awesome (order from the menu... club sandwiches...mmmmm....). Beach was awesome. Very close to town which is great.

Take a day trip to Anguilla. You will not be disappointed. Rent a car for a day or two and go exploring. Visit Orient beach on your way (don't leave valuables in the car though).

Go and have a good time!

Reading, England
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

My fiancee and I are going to the Great Bay for our honeymoon

Reading, England
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

... in June. We're really excited as it's just had a huge refurbishment. What's the weather like in early June?

greatbayhotel.com/html/images/Great_Bay.pdf

Cape Breton N.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Yes, we would like more information on Great Bay Beach Resort, we are travelling with a group from Nova Scotia On March 28th........Their web site has not been updated yet.

Can anyone give me information on Mullet Bay Golf course, some internet sites give it bad reviews , others say it's O.K...and do they offer a late afternoon discount of any kind??

Golfguy

Cape Breton N.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Yes, we are travelling with a group from Nova Scotia, March 28th to the Great Bay Beach Resort....are all the NEW changes ready?..their web site has not updated new info or photos yet!

Plus has anyone ever played at Mullet Bay Golf course...is it up to par (some internet reviews have not been good) and do they have a late afternoon discount rate???

golfguy

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Golfguy, I will check with my friend that lives there and is, by chance , on the St Maarten Golf Team.....will let you know.

Dan&Pam

Mississauga

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Ok golfguy...Here is what I'm told....

Sadly, Mullet Bay is the only show in town. The layout is great,very fun, but for the last 10 years,since Hurricane Luis in1995, the property has been the subject of ongoing insurance litigation(the likes of which could only happen on a corrupt backwards Caribbean island) Consequently,no money is allotted to upkeep, mostly no irrigation....relies on rain..and two guys with weed whackers keep the minimal growth under control.....That being said, He golfs it at least once a week.

Also you can take a flight to St Kitts(approx. $60 us) and they have great golf. Hope this helps...keep your head down!!

Dan of

Dan & Pam

Mississauga

Cape Breton N.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Hi Dan & Pam

Thanks for the information on Mullet Bay golf..Think I'll save my money for another time........

As for Great Bay Beach Resort....found out this week it will open the end of next week...our tour guide from Halifax will fly down in two weeks to check it out....will give everyone the information then....mean time ..thanks again..

Golfguy

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Bay Beach Hotel

Pam and I will be there(Great Bay) for our 7th time on Mar.5-12.

I have been in touch with them and they tell me all will be ok(as if they would say anything different)...as long as I have a bed..who cares!!!

We liked it b/4..I can't wait to see it now!!

Hope you enjoy!

Dan&Pam

Mississauga