We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

I booked two rooms at the end of March 2011 at the Royal Islander Great Bay (RCI #7628) - bringing the adult children and grandchildren. The link to the Royal Islander Great Bay website does not work. It seems the Sonesta and Royal Islander are at the same address and may be the same resort. Can anyone confirm? Thanks Tom

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

Yes, they are - the Sonesta is the hotel section and the Royal Islander is the timeshare section.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

Thanks Bobcat you have solved the mystery. We are Divi Little Bay timeshare owners and traded two years of RCI points to take the extended family. I will certainly write a review after our trip. Thanks again.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

Sounds like a wonderful gift for your entire family to enjoy.

Edited: 7:55 pm, March 19, 2011
Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

To be perfectly clear: Royal Islander, Great Bay Is @ Great Bay -Philipsburg with most units being All Inclusive.

Royal Sonesta--an All Inclusive Hotel @ Maho Village.

Royal Islander La Plage--a timeshare @ Maho Village.

Royal Islander Terasse--A Timeshare @ Maho Village across the street fron R I La Plage.

All owned by the same corporation/person.

florida
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

So, if we're staying at La Plage, do we get access to the Sonesta pools?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

While I now have a timeshare somewhere else on the island, I did stay at the Sonesta several years ago. At that time they were 2 different resorts. The Royal Islander is a timeshare resort and Sonesta is a hotel. Sonesta guests were not allowed to use the Royal Islander facilities. As far as I know it's still that way. As far as Royal Islander owners using Sonesta's facilities, well no one checks to see if you are a guest there. You won't be able to get towels however. In other words, as far as I know, they are 2 different resorts.

New Castle, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

thank you very much.. we are also timeshare owners and are wanting to book a week here in may and wondered the same thing. When are you traveling Joyce? Hopefully before May so I can read your review. Thanks again..

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

When I stayed at the Sonesta, it was NOT affiliated with Royal Islander in any way and we were not allowed to use the Royal Islander facilities. I know several people who are timeshare owners at the Royal Islander and although I never asked them, they never hinted that the two resorts are now the same. But I could be wrong.

jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

Hi, I was wondering if you did indeed stay at royal islander great bay and if so, how was it? And did you have to do the all inclusive? Any info would be great.

10. Re: Sonesta and Royal Islander - are they the same resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin