We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
Save Topic
Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Beware! I purchased a pricey piecew of jewelery on Front st. at OM Jewelers. I asked for an appraisal and was told it would be mailed to me and it never was even after sending e

Boston...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Has anyone ever bought jewelry in a place called Shoppers Haven on Front Street?? I got a good tip from someone that they are very good.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

If you go to Caribbean Gems and ask for AJ or Max you should get a good deal. I play poker with them and they should give you a good deal. You have to ask for them as soon as you get in the store.

Tell them that Jeff, their poker buddy from denver sent you.

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

notice my last post was cut off. Continued here - OM Jewlers did not honor their 30 day exchange policy as noted on the bottom of their invoice! BEWARE!

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

GARFRA people that give "tips" as to where to buy usually get discounts based on how many ppl they refer and how much that person spends. Be very careful - quality is usually subpar and they generally prey on cruise ship patrons. In fact, all stores will ask you if you came off the cruise ship. Its a way of sizing you up. In general you you should know how to tell the difference between good and bad before purchasing. Do your homework before you go.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Good advise sue ellen,

Always shop around and compare prices. Max and AJ are friends of mine but always look for the best deal regardless of what anyone says. With what seems like 1000 jewelry stores on Front Street I thought it would be a good place to start.

They gave me a good deal on a necklace for my girlfriend and also took care of my boss when he bought a bracelet for his wife. I don't get kickbacks or discounts for referals. When I first moved to the island I got a bad deal at Little Switzerland for my Movado watch so I know how people feel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Relatives of mine , who always shop at Shoppers Haven told us to go there and ask for specific people who work there.. They say told me they bought wonderful stuff and go their all the time.. So, I was just asking if anyone had good luck with them and if their merchandise is as nice as they say. Thanks.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

We bought a tanzanite ring 5 years ago at Kay Jewelers on Front Street. They told us it would appraise for 3 - 4 times what we paid for it. When we returned home, I had it appraised for my homeowners insurance, and they were absolutely correct. It is a beautiful, deep blue, flawless stone, about 1.5 carats. This past summer when we returned to SXM, we had the stone re-set in another setting, and the ring is stunning. I would definitely recommend Kay Jewelers to anyone. If you go in enough shops, you can usually size up the sales people, and gauge by what they say, how they say it, etc. if they're on the level. Never buy at the first shop you go in!

canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

I have dealt with Rajesh at Caribben Gems and have been very happy!

Wilmington, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Jewelry shopping on Front St. in Philipsburg is great fun, if you like jewelry--we do! On SXM the week of 14-21 Jan 06, my wife was interested in finding a diamond anniversary ring for herself, and an artsy man's ring for me. We browsed virtually every jewelry store on Front St., from where they're re-doing the pavement at one end, all the way to the hillside near the cruise ships at the other. I'm a gem critic of sorts, having had geology in college and having shopped the world in the course of a 20-year military career; I use a magnifier to examine stones, and all that. We found good jewelry almost everywhere, but the associates behind the counters nearest the cruise ships seemed to consistently show lower-quality stones first, as though hoping you'd buy quickly without close examination. Then, when you showed more than passing interest in stone quality, many clerks became disinterested. The opposite was true the farther we got from the cruise ships, and we also found that initial asking prices were more moderate, too [ALWAYS haggle!]. We ended up making our major jewelry purposes at Dynasty Jewers--the store at #89 Front St., rather than the one more centrally located at #47. Mr. Yogesh "Yogi" Bodha was very informative, and was more than willing to let us take our time. For my wife's ring, I was able to hand-select four good-quality diamonds from among about twenty, and we picked them up in a mounting of choice the next day. We have not had them appraised here in the States yet, but I have no doubt they were a bargain.

Wilmington, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Jewlery on Front Street in Philipsburg

Correction! My mind was wandering...read that

"making our major jewelry PURCHASES at Dynasty JEWELERS--"

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin