We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in St-Martin

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
living in St-Martin

For Denver2sxm or whoever lives in St-Martin.

I would love to get some info re living in St-Martin (french side). Do you have bilingual shools (english-french). I read a lot and was shocked by the comments about the high criminality. It suprises me a bit. Is that really true, or coming from people not used to live in the Caribbean ? I am already used about high costs of living, little to do on a cultural way, heat, etc. as I am already living in Caribbean so all this is not new to me and kind of normal. I am english and french spoken, so are my children. What attracst me to St-Martin is that it is french, so it will be a bit more like my birth country (grocery stores, bakery, restaurants, etc.). I am already living in an english island and am working, so figure out it will be less difficult with my offshore experience to get a job (banking, insurance or other). If anyone is willing to give me informations, it will be really appreciated. Thanks a lot to all !

P.s. Is it work availabilities in the new technologies business (computer system, phone system) ?

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: living in St-Martin

I live on the Dutch side so I am not familiar with the French requirements but I can give you some general info.

If you are a French citizen you should have no problems, if not, living and working on the island can be very difficult. Most companies require you to have a work permit before they will even interview you. My company took care of everything before I came down and that is the way it usually works.

The public schools are not great. I don't have kids but all my friends that do (again speaking about the Dutch side) put their kids in private schools which I hear are very good and on par with US and European schools.

In terms of crime, St. Martin is better than most Caribbean islands and in my opinion the same as major US cities. The French side has a little less crime because they are directly controlled by France and follow EU standards.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: living in St-Martin

thank you Denver25xm

I am not french but swiss resident. Why will it be more difficult if not french ? Sounds like here in Cayman. Work permit and private schools were in my plans for my children anyway, like it is here. I am planning a visit this year on your island. June/July. I will see a bit more by myself. And I will search more infos re the work permits for a swiss and for a british citizen. If you have more infos, please let me know. Your experience will be welcome. I will do the same for you for Cayman Islands, if you are willing to visit it.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin