We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just returned, short trip report

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
just returned, short trip report

My family is from St. Martin and Anguilla. My parents moved back to the French side Oct. 2004 after living in the States for years. I will spare everyone the details of the family tour and just talk about beaches and food.

Beaches:

Rest in peace Scavengers...you were missed. So this year we did not go to Dawn beach. Instead we hit Le Galion, great for families, very calm, shallow water. Baie Rouge, nice beach on a perfect day, left before it started to rain. We also checked out Orient, not one of my favorites, too crowded and Friars, very laid back.

Food:

This christmas my siblings went to their inlaws so I did not go to as many fancy places.

Went back to Spiga, had another great meal. Every table was full. I had the seafood special and the ricotta/lemon cake was amazing.

Gus's Bar and grill on Baie Rouge. Great fries and drinks.

Kali's on Friar Bays, good beach bar, great vibe.

Talk of the Town, great Lolo in Grand case. Has the second best Johnnie cakes on the island. My mom makes the best.

Sunset beach bar, near Maho, went here for drinks. Trippy to see the planes so close. Younger crowd, good drinks.

La Vie en Rose, Marigot. excellent lunch and great drinks (yes we did drink alot on this trip). Service was a little slow but it was everywhere we went except Spiga.

We went to Anguilla to see some family and it was a nice switch from the "hustle and bustle" of St. Martin.

I will not discuss the nightmare, that is Miami International airport. Once again my trip to SXM fine, getting home a freaking nightmare!

Overall had a great time. One thing I cannot get used to is the traffic. it's awful. I have been going to St. martin since I was a baby and cannot believe how built up it is, especially the Dutch side. Cannot wait to go back for Christmas 2006.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just returned, short trip report

Thanks for posting! Talk of the Town is one of my favorite places to eat!

Did you happen to stop in at the Bounty? We love to shop there for our "beach food". But heard it had changed hands. Wondering if the stock is the same and the wonderful ladies who worked there are still working.

Did the Miami thing once, returning from Trinidad. Hope to avoid that in the future!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just returned, short trip report

sxmlover, no we did not stop at the Bounty. Where is it located? What type of food?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just returned, short trip report

It's a wonderful French deli, next to the Pharmacy just as you are driving out of Grand Case heading towards Orient.

We stop there usually twice a week to stock up on lovely French cheeses and sliced meats to take to the beach in our cooler. That with a fresh baguette and a cool beverage and we're all set!

They also sell rotissery chickens, salads, juices - a little grocery store actually. Nice selection of wines. They have pre-made sandwiches. My Hubby says their tuna salad sandwich is the best he has ever had!

I guess we'll have to check it out for ourselves in a couple of weeks!

Fort Lauderdale...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just returned, short trip report

I just read your posting. Were you by chance one of the passengers on AA2160 from SXM to MIA on January 4th 2006? If so, then you must be speaking about the fuel stop in SJU and unspeakable screw up upon arrival to MIA...letting a 757 fully loaded of international passengers disembark into the regular terminal area. I know the LAX passengers had a tough time. If such is the case, did you lodge a complaint with AA? I'm interested to know because I did and my comments fell on deaf ears.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just returned, short trip report

yes, I did write a letter to AA. They said they have forwarded it. I do realize it's not their fault SXM didn't have enough fuel but Miami was a mess. There was no info and I spent the night at the airport. They would not pay for hotel, since it wasn't their fault. then I was told every flight the next day was sold out until 5:00 p.m. but i could try stand by. Thank god I got on that 8:00 a.m. Not the way to start off the New Year.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten