We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

Vancouver, BC
4 posts
Save Topic
Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

We are looking for the NON TOURISTY thing but good local vibe with good beach bars and grills. Some good local bands, good fun. We are deciding between the three areas. Anyone with an opinion? We are leaving Jan.11th, thanks so much!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

Leaving in a week and no accomodations yet? WOW - you are brave.

That's a tough question. Sounds like you want to party a little - so my suggestion is Simpson Bay. Unless you want the expense of a taxi, you will want to be close to home after a couple of cold ones.

Orient is great during the day - lots of beach bars, restaurants and fun during the day. But pretty quiet most nights.

Dawn has some action during the day, but again, quiet at night.

Both places have a few opportunities in the evening, but nothing compared to Simpson Bay.

Pick up a copy of K-Pasa when on the island. I lists all the entertainment for the week.

You can drive to Dawn and Orient during the day to enjoy the fun times. But in the evenings, unless you have a designated driver, stay close. And stay safe.

They are cracking down hard on DUI in the island, especially French side. Many traffic stops have been reported.

If I read your message wrong, and drinking is not part of the mix, then it doesn't matter. Driving is easy, difficult to get lost. But traffic, especially Marigot, Philipsburg and Simpson Bay will be tough. Get a listing of bridge opening times and avoid them like the plague!

Vancouver, BC
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

Wow, thanks for your input...no wonder everyone loves you on this forum!

What about if we stay in Orient Bay (it would be the Alizea hotel - heard of it)but go to Grande Case for the night entertainment. We will mostly be looking for good restaurants and some local bars/clubs for a little bit of dancing and drinks.

Have you heard of Coral Shores, this is another area that we could rent a villa. It's in Pelican Key.

Last option is Grande Case BAY VIEW villas on the beach.

Thanks so much for your help we are trying to finalize in the next day or so.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

As we don't stay on the french side, I'm sorry I can't help with your choices there. Have you tried a search for reviews here?

Also can't help much with the stuff in Grand Case, as the prices there are out of our budget, except the LoLo's. But if you're going to buy groceries, may I suggest The Bounty in Grand Case. Excellent meats and cheeses for beach food! And the baked goods...YUM!

Also, I don't believe there is much in the way of entertainment or night life in Grand Case. Just restaurants. I may be wrong, and someone with more experience can help with this.

If you time it right, you may hit Harmony Nights. It starts about now and runs thru April. It's every Tuesday nite. They close the main street in grand Case to cars. There is street music, little parades and food vendors. Reported to be a wonderful event. Our visits haven't co-incided with it yet, so no first hand knowledge. Hope to make it this visit.

http://www.grandcase.com/

I have heard they are starting something similar in Marigot, but don't have particulars.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orient Bay, Simpson Bay or Dawn Beach for accommodations????

Here's a link with more info about the Marigot festivities.

www.st-martin.org/us/communicate/forum.php…

Looks like fun!

Pulled this from an old post somewhere:

If you want to meet "locals", then Gut Side restaurant on the road to Friar's Bay by Cripple Gate is definitely the place to do so. The restaurant is run by Richard Brooks who has been on the island for 30 years and Lourdes, his better half as he calls her, joins him on the weekends! Gut Side serves very good local food at very reasonable prices. "Locals" are always eating in this restaurant. Everyone is extremely friendly and you can easily strike up a conversation!

We've added Gutside to our list for the next trip.

Also, we've found it easy to make conversation with local folks working in restaurants or resorts. If you are polite and show interest in them, they are the BEST resource for where to go for the action. They can tell you where the "locals" hang out.