We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French speaking necessary?

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Topic
French speaking necessary?

Hello, my girlfriend and I recently booked a trip to St. Martin for this spring. We're staying on the French side near Orient Beach (Hotel La Plantation). My only concern is that neither of us speak French. I'm just curious if this is going to pose a large-enough problem that I need to go out and try to study up in the next few months, or are most willing to converse in English? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Boston
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French speaking necessary?

Most of the people in service jobs (hotel clerks, waiters, bartenders) speak English so you should be fine. Actually many speak several languages. However, it never hurts to learn some phrases and try and converse in the host language. Non-customer service jobs like chamber maids, etc. are less likely to speak any English.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French speaking necessary?

We have never had a problem as english only speakers. I'm actually embarassed, since most on the island can speak 3 or 4 languages! Have not yet found a place that we could not make ourselves understood.

I will say that if you pull out a couple of phrases from your high school French classes, it seems to be very much appreciated. I try to at least use bonjour, sil vous plait, merci........... If nothing else, you get a smile at your poor attempt!