We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

It's been ten years since Hurricane Louis. Has there been any news as to what the Dutch Government is going to do to get Mullet Bay up and running again? I know the golf course is open but is in poor condition. I can't imagine they have the nerve to charge $100 to play that course. Mullet Bay has the most beautiful piece of land on the island. It's a shame to see this place such an eye-sore. Everyone, please be careful at night if you are driving thru the golf course area as I heard there are robberies around the road area and the area just near where Cheri's Cafe is.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

Yea it really is quite embarrassing I think for the island to leave the Mullet Bay resort like that there. That is prime land and it is just rotting away and the golf course looks terrible.

Just take a look in my photo album of some of the abandoned buildings, its terrible looking:

www.zerokarma.com/modules.php…

Toronto
Level Contributor
587 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

I'm not sure if it was discussed here or on another forum but aparently there's some rumour of a scam being pulled by the owner or insurance company or investors or some combination therein.

RR

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

Please don't post rumors... If you have evidence (link to newspaper article or police report) of a problem then by all means post it. Otherwise-- the last thing the area needs is for people to be starting rumors about crime or spreading bogus secondhand information.

Years and years and years ago, (10+) it was maybe unsafe to drive certain areas of the island at night (rural west French side?). It certainly isn't still that way.

/pbz

New Haven
6 posts
4. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

My wife and I, both avid golfers, had the pleasure of playing Mullet Bay on February 21st. Yes, it was a $100 each with shared cart, and yes there are ruins of the condos destroyed by Hurricane Luis lining some of the fairways (although many are covered by the overgrown vegetation), but overall it was a wonderful layout. The bermuda grass fairways were awesome, and the greens were fast (a little crispy in some spots, but only because they depend on rainfall for irrigation). This course demanded a one month advanced tee time reservation in it's heyday and if the resort gets rebuilt, which it undoubtedly will (it's the best piece of real estate in St. Maarten), the price will be closer to the $200 range like all of the other courses in the Caribbean. The starter told us that Greg Norman was there with his designing team a couple of months ago, and expressed great interest in the course. We only hope that we can have the opportunity to play it again before the masses take it over.

New Haven
6 posts
5. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

My wife and I, both avid golfers, had the pleasure of playing Mullet Bay on February 21st. Yes, it was a $100 each with shared cart, and yes there are ruins of the condos destroyed by Hurricane Luis lining some of the fairways (although many are covered by the overgrown vegetation), but overall it was a wonderful layout. The bermuda grass fairways were awesome, and the greens were fast (a little crispy in some spots, but only because they depend on rainfall for irrigation). This course demanded a one month advanced tee time reservation in it's heyday and if the resort gets rebuilt, which it undoubtedly will (it's the best piece of real estate in St. Maarten), the price will be closer to the $200 range like all of the other courses in the Caribbean. The starter told us that Greg Norman was there with his designing team a couple of months ago, and expressed great interest in the course. We only hope that we can have the opportunity to play it again before the masses take it over.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

I am heading to St Maarten in 10 days and have never been there. I am an avid golfer from New England who is suffering from the winter "no golf" blahs. My wife will be happy to sit at the pool and happy for me to play golf. Unfortunately, I am concerned by the posts concerning the golf course at Mullet Bay. I'm not looking for Augusta National, just want to get out and play a little golf. I would be particularly interested to hear from Curly but would welcome anyone else's input as well. Should I not get up my hopes to be able to enjoy myself at all? Do I need to contact the course for tee times? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

West Chester Pa
Level Contributor
422 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

The course is really neglected and not in great shape at all. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 3. The only reason that people play it is that it's the only course on the island, and they are kind of keeping it in some kind of playing condition because it's such a valuable course when it gets developed again. There is no rule of eminant domain on St Maarten or otherwise this would be long gone. If you are truly desperate for golf I guess you can play it. But you do have to be a "little desperate"!

Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

No one goes to SXM to golf. That course is a goat pasture that a real golfer would not really enjoy that much unless the winter has made them desperate to hit the little white ball. Go to the beach instead!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

Thank you very much to the 2 people who responded to my post. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I am desperate to hit the little white ball due to New England winter blues. The "go to the beach" advice is probably very appropriate but I need to play golf in addition if possible so... I have read somewhere that you can play at other islands with better facilities that are close by to SXM. Do either of you or anybody else know anything about that? Logistics? Suggestions? Costs? Reccomendations? I would be grateful for any additional feedback.

Thank You

New Haven
6 posts
10. Re: Mullet Bay and its Golf Course

Evenpar...like I said..we played for the same reason you want to play. I'd love to tee it up with the guy who said that a real golfer wouldn't play it. That's exactly the reason why we played it..believe me, my wife and I are both "real" golfers (60 rounds each per year) and could tee it up with anyone. We were on a cruise and hadn't played in 3 months because of the long winter up here in CT. A "real" golfer takes advantage of any opportunity he gets to hit the white ball. The fact that it costs $12 a bucket to go hit indoors at a driving range is pathetic. Spend the extra $88 and go play outside, soak up the sun, and take it for what its worth. We had a great time and if you are a "real" golfer, you will too. Some of the hole layouts are amazing. There are millionaires who live on St. Marteen that have formed their own golf association that play Mullet Bay all the time. If you google it, you'll find info. Don't listen to the other "real" golfers out here who probably pay $10,000 a year for a golf membership at some pretentious country club and only play 5 times a year.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten