We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive or bust?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
149 reviews
All inclusive or bust?

We are thinking of St. Maarten this July. Looking at Sonesta Maho Beach and Sonesta Great Bay. Is one better than other? Was thinking Maho at first but someone mentioned that the noise from planes is overwhelming.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,292 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: All inclusive or bust?

After the first day you probably won't even notice the planes or the noise from them. Generally flights are very limited after 10 P.M.

Maho is in a more active nightlife center than Great Bay but many visitors from Canada prefer Great Bay, better beach probably and more quiet and relaxing.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: All inclusive or bust?

I agree with Bobcat. Also, another aspect is that if you are concerned about noise and may have ultra sensitive hearing, you should choose Great Bay. The plane's take off is the loudest (especially the large planes) but it's quick and they are usually spaced far apart. It's not like the noise you would would normally hear as a plane flies overhead which to me is more annoying.

Our friends warned us the first time we traveled to the island about being next to the airport and this did not disturb us. In fact, we love Maho and would not stay elsewhere. We now own 2 timeshares in Maho. To us, the planes are an attraction and if you search on UTube for videos of the planes landing at Maho, you'll understand.

Otherwise Great Bay is a nice clean place with a nice beach.

Just a question to those who have stayed at Great Bay...what restaurants do they offer outside of the property? I do know that Maho does offer the Paris Bistro and a few others, as a change of pace. Does Great Bay offer anything in Philipsburg?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: All inclusive or bust?

Much thanks. Looking forward to getting away

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: All inclusive or bust?

We know where we want to go and when (St Maarten). Is it better to wait a while to see if prices go down (someone told me summer is quiet so if we wait prices will drop) on other hand, resort could fill up if we wait

5. Re: All inclusive or bust?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten