We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

My wife and I are going to St.Martin in Mid November. We would like to visit one of the near by Island by a Catamaran/or Power Catamaran from St. Martin for snorkeling and enjoying the water. Which Island is better to visit, Anguilla or St Barts? Any particular boat company recommended? How much does it cost? Thanks for the help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

Where are you staying? I actually enjoyed St Martin too much and didn't take a trip, but GCBC offered many snorkeling trips daily. I thinkit was around 60USD per person and it included food/beer. Most hotels that have water sports desks will offer catamaran trips to both islands.

HMP
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

If your priority is snorkeling, you may want to think about taking a day trip to Prickly Pear -- an uninhabited island off the coast of Anguilla. The snorkeling is the best I've seen anywhere on or near St. Maarten. There is a boat that leaves the marina at the Pelican resort and I think there is one that leaves from Marigot as well. If you are staying near or on the French side, I would take the one from Marigot. I haven't been to Anguilla but have heard the beaches there are quite beautiful and worth the trip. I have been to St. Barts, which is lovely and also has great beaches, but I wouldn't go there for the snorkeling. Hope that helps.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

HR

Thanks for the sugestion. We are staying in the Dutch side. The snorkeling is not as important. We really want to enjoy a nice beach, in a nice boat ride.

Ontario
Level Contributor
398 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

I have done the catamaran trip to Prickly Pear. It cost about $60 or $70 USD which included lunch. The boat left from Marigot. The boat ride is about 2 hours each way. The beach there is nothing special. The beaches on mainland Anguilla are nicer. If you do go to Prickly Pear, take the Lambada or Scoobi-doo which are fun boats with a party atmosphere.

You can also take the ferry to St. Barts and go to Anse St. Jean which is a great beach. The water is extremely calm and crystal clear. The ferry ride takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 75 minutes depending where you leave from.

Edmonton, Alberta...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recomendation for Catamaran ride to nearby Islands

When we were down in St.martin in Jan of this year, we took a catamaran to Anguilla. I have never seen water or sand as beautiful as that. The sand there was like flour. and the water was the most brilliant blue. Even looking back at our pictures some people don't believe that it was real. We never made it over to St.Barts, but I would highly recomend Anguilla!